Despite injuries, Cyclone track squads find success in Florida

Chadcalek

The Iowa State men’s and women’s track squads finished strong Saturday to conclude events at the Florida Relays, despite some injuries to the men’s squad.

“We had some good performances, but we had some injuries that really hurt us,” Iowa State Head Men’s Track Coach Steve Lynn said.

Those injured were junior sprinter Quinn Harris, sophomore David Lochoro and senior All-American distance runner Corey Ihmels.

Harris hurt his quad while running the 4 X 200, Lochoro hurt his quad running the 1,500 and Ihmels injured his calf in the 1,500.

“Corey was definitely in position to win that race,” Lynn said. “He definitely would have won, so that hurt.”

Top performers for the ISU men’s squad were sophomore Jamie Beyer, senior Josh Hagedorn, senior Tim Wislon and junior Saul Lempirikan.

Beyer finished in first place in the discus at 181 feet, while Wilson finished in second place at 176-6.

In the shotput, it was Hagedorn taking the crown with a toss of 59-11 3/4.

“Our throwers had a great meet. They picked up right where they left off in the indoor season. It was really neat to see them do that,” Lynn said.

Other top performers for the Cyclones were Jason Woods and the ISU distance medley combination of senior Justin Gottschalk, sophomore Dan Cooper, sophomore Brian Smith and Ihmels.

The distance medley team finished in second place with a time of 10-minutes, 3.72 seconds.

Woods finished in second place in the 400 hurdles with a time of 51:36.

“That was Woods fastest time ever,” Lynn said.

For the Cyclone women, junior Sydney Pounds won the 5,000 with a time of 17:04.61 while senior Kris Curnyn won the discus with a toss of 165-4.

Curnyn also finished in second place in the hammer throw with a heave of 163-07.

The Cyclones will be in action again on April 5 at the Simpson Invitational.