Planet preservation

Jonquil Wegmann

Students at Iowa State have planned a week packed with activities to celebrate Earth Day.

To get into the spirit, the Student Environmental Council (SEC) will have an informational booth today and Tuesday from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. near the Food Court of the Memorial Union.

“We’ll be giving out green ribbons for environmental awareness and selling Earth Day t-shirts for $12,” said Holly Roozan, SEC president .

The “eco-shirts” are made with 50 percent reclaimed cotton and 50 percent pete plastic.

Student Environmental Council will also sponsor several talks and lectures, a bike ride and a benefit concert featuring the group Flood Plain at People’s Bar and Grill. All ages are welcome, and the proceeds will go to prairie restoration efforts in Iowa.

Individual students are also getting involved with Earth Day festivities. Nathane Pieper, a senior in agronomy and environmental studies and Inter-Residence Hall Association vice president of environmental awareness, is organizing a campus clean-up for the residence hall areas on Tuesday.

The clean-up will begin at 3 p.m. near Wallace-Wilson Halls. From Towers they will travel to the Union Drive Association and then to Richardson Court Association.

Steve Van Ginkel, a graduate student in environmental engineering, said “celebrating Earth Day is celebrating clean air, clean water, healthy children and a productive future.”

He plans a tree planting road trip to “beautify your yard, attract numerous and diverse wildlife, and purify the air.”

He said he hopes to make a trip to Cascades Tree Nursery near Mount Vernon with other interested students to purchase trees and then sell them to students for $1.25 each.

If interested in the tree planting road trip, call 296-4892.