Veishea scholars get sneak preview of college life at ISU

Cori Baumer

Six high school seniors from Iowa and one from Nebraska were named this year’s Veishea scholars.

All seven students will travel to Iowa State this weekend to take part in Veishea festivities.

This year’s scholars and their high schools are: Alyssa Armbrecht, Rockwell City/Lytton; Lori Begley, Scottsbluff, Neb.; Katheryn Craig, Ames; Adam Okerlund, Northwood-Kensett; Ashlee Schmidt, Hudson; Martha Sheller, Clinton; and Jennifer Spencer, Marcus-Meriden-Cleghorn.

Bryan Burkhardt, Veishea scholars co-chairman, said the students will each be awarded the Veishea Leadership Scholarship if they decide to attend ISU. The scholarship is for one year and is worth $500.

Burkhardt said the seven students were chosen from 180 applicants.

Aimee Lee, co-chairwoman of the Educational Outreach committee, which chooses the Veishea scholars each year, said applicants were chosen based on their academic achievement, community involvement and extracurricular activities.

Burkhardt said because it is a leadership scholarship, the applicants’ leadership capabilities are important.

“We look at their involvement in high school and what leadership roles they have been in,” Burkhardt said. They also looked at their GPA, class rank and ACT or SAT scores.

Burkhardt and Brent Nielsen, Veishea scholars co-chairman, reviewed the applications and narrowed the number of applicants down to 30 students who they then interviewed by telephone.

Burkhardt said they asked the applicants to evaluate one of their weaknesses, describe one of their proudest moments, name the best and worst things about their high school and tell what they knew about Veishea.

After the interviews the applicants were narrowed down to 15. Burkhardt, Nielsen, Lee, Paul Whitson, educational outreach co-chairman, and Dan Faidley and Stephanie Carney Michaels, Veishea general co-chairs, reviewed the final applications and interview information and chose the final seven.

Burkhardt said all the scholars are very bright and excited about ISU. He said choosing Veishea scholars is an excellent tradition.

“It is great not only to recognize outstanding students, but also to help Iowa State recruit good students,” Burkhardt said.

The students arrived on campus Thursday afternoon. They are staying with hosts in the residence halls or the Greek system, depending on their choice. They will be on campus through Saturday.

While at ISU this weekend, the scholars will tour the campus, attend a Stars Over Veishea performance, Roc da Rec and Taste of Veishea. The scholars will also ride in the parade and attend a dignitary reception after the parade.