IRHA votes up revision to policy for dorm doors

Greg Moberly

Two of the hottest residence hall issues in some time — the door policy and summer storage — were cooled at Thursday night’s Inter-Residence Hall meeting.

Summer storage in the residence halls will stay cost-free for this summer, but residents will have to pay for space next summer. IRHA members unanimously approved that proposal.

Randy Alexander, director of residence, said he would be willing to drop the charges, which run up to $15, this summer because the issue was raised so late in the year.

“I understand your frustration,” Alexander told the IRHA.

Alexander said he contacted other schools in the Big 12 about their summer storage policies. He said many of the schools have restrictions for summer storage, and one school doesn’t allow it.

Residents in the Towers Residence Association will see a change as a result of the vote on Thursday. TRA residents will only be allowed to store lofts, while Richardson Court Association and Union Drive Association residents will be able to store lofts, couches, lamps and carpet. Limits were placed on TRA residents due to a lack of space.

Beginning in the summer 1998, UDA and RCA residents will pay $15. TRA residents will pay $6 for summer.

The other hot issue of the night, one that has been an ongoing struggle between students and administrators since 1992, was the door policy. In 1992, students living in the residence halls were prohibited from hanging nearly all materials on the outside of their dorm doors.

A revision of that policy, which eliminates the content-specific regulations on door materials, passed by unanimous consent with little discussion.

The new policy now moves to Interim Vice President for Student Affairs Dan Robinson and then on to University Legal Services for approval. If approved, it will go into effect in the fall.

Thursday’s vote is the closest students have gotten to revising the strict policy. There have been several attempts since 1992.

Under the new policy, individual houses can vote whether certain materials are offensive, but the resident with the offensive materials posted will not be required to remove the materials.

The policy in no way restricts First Amendment rights of any person,” the policy states.