Members not happy with storage proposal

Greg Moberly

At Thursday night’s Inter-Residence Hall Association meeting, members refused to vote on two proposals that were submitted by Randy Alexander, director of the Department of Residence.

The proposals dealt with two hot topics in the residence halls: summer storage and the dorm-door policy.

Both proposals were tabled until next week’s IRHA meeting. Alexander was not present at the meeting, though he was contacted by telephone during the meeting.

Alexander’s summer storage proposal would mandate that any resident who wishes to store items in the residence halls over the summer be charged a flat fee of $15. The proposal limits the items to lofts, couches, chairs, lamps and carpet.

Students can now store their belongings over the summer months for free. The summer-storage issue has been a source of tension in the residence halls for several weeks.

IRHA adviser Pat Robinson, who called Alexander during the meeting, said Alexander would view an IRHA vote against his summer-storage proposal as a vote against all storage in the residence halls.

“A vote against summer storage would be interpreted as a vote against storage,” she said.

IRHA members then argued about what they should do with the proposal.

Rob Wiese, IRHA president and Government of the Student Body president-elect, was not happy with Alexander’s proposal. “We need to do something to show him this sucks,” Wiese said.

Wiese suggested that the IRHA attach an amendment that states students do not support the proposal.

Jay McLaren, Towers Residence Association at-large member and IRHA president-elect, suggested everyone at the meeting abstain from voting.

Jeremy Williams, TRA president, said, “No one in TRA is going to pay $15 to store a loft. The only good-faith effort that has been made [by Alexander] has been for the door policy.”

In other news

The new door-policy draft was tabled by a 16-2 vote with little discussion.

The draft, proposed by Alexander, states that university lawyers would not defend the vote of any floor that collectively decided to ask a floor member to take down something from a door.

Under the proposal, students could post material on their dorm doors, but floor members can vote to ask the resident to remove the material. University lawyers argue that such a vote is nonbinding. Under the current policy, residents can post almost nothing on their doors.

The next IRHA meeting will be held April 24 at 7 p.m. in the Chessman Lounge in Helser Hall.