A few questions about Pratt

Milton Mcgriff

Now that The Tribune and the Daily have reported part of what transpired between Iowa State University basketball star Kenny Pratt and the Ames Police Dept. the night of his arrest, and Pratt has been convicted, a few questions seem to be in order.

These questions are specifically directed at ISU President Martin Jischke, Dean of Students Kathleen MacKay and Office of Judicial Affairs Representative Grace Weigel. But first, a look at the ISU Student Information Handbook:

Under “Student Conduct Code” on page 8: “2. ASSAULT — Conduct which threatens the health or safety of another person, or causes injury to another person, is prohibited.”

On page 11: “21. OFF CAMPUS VIOLATIONS — Conduct off campus which directly, seriously and adversely interferes with or disrupts the educational or other functions of the university, or which seriously threatens the health or safety of any member of the community, is prohibited.

“22. VIOLATIONS OF ANY CITY, STATE, OR FEDERAL LAW — Any action or conduct which constitutes a violation of any city, state, or federal law, that can be demonstrated to adversely affect some distinct and clear interest of the university as an academic community, is prohibited.”

The questions: Has Pratt been charged by the All-University Judiciary? If not, why not?

Given the star-chamber quality of the AUJ, are students even entitled to know if a public figure like Pratt faced a closed Office of Judicial Affairs administrative hearing?

Did Dean MacKay file a complaint against Pratt? If not, why not?

Does kicking a police officer’s tooth loose constitute a threat to the officer’s health or safety?

Does a nationally known ISU athlete swearing vehemently and at length at police officers “adversely affect some distinct and clear interest of the university as an academic community?”

To ask this another way, is it in the interest of students to suspect that athletes are treated differently than regular students by the university?

Are nationally known athletes exempt from AUJ proceedings once the ISU Athletic Department voids the athlete’s suspension?

Do “boisterous expressions of free speech” inside the lobby of Beardshear Hall “adversely affect some distinct and clear interest of the university” more than calling a police officer a “pussy-ass motherfucker” and telling him “I’m not going to be motherfucking cooperative …?”

Just thought I’d ask.

Milton McGriff

Graduate Student

Creative Writing

Member of The September 29th Movement