Woods races to lead pack

Hanz Maness

With the track season well under way, Cyclone sprinter Jason Woods is making some waves on tracks where ever he goes.

“He’s definitely one of the guys,” ISU Head Track Coach Steve Lynn said. “He’s one of the top hurdlers in the nation. He won’t be the favorite at the Drake Relays but he should be one of the favorites.”

A year ago Woods was one of four former Iowa preps that ran on the victorious ISU shuttle hurdle relay team at the Drake Relays in a meet record time of 57.97.

“Last week he beat a kid in the 110 meter hurdles, Gardner from Michigan, who was one of the top hurdlers from a year ago, in the Arkansas meet with a time of 13.72, which is the second fastest time in ISU history and it also qualified him for the NCAA championships.,” Lynn said.

“He also won the indoor 55 meter hurdles at the Big 12 meet, pretty much dominating it and at the NCAA meet he finished fifth, which helped the team finish third,” he added.

A year ago Woods finished fourth at the outdoor conference championship with a time of 13.94 and also clocked in at 51.72 in the 400 meter hurdles.

He was also a member of the 4×100 team that placed third at the NCAA Outdoor Championship and won the Big Eight title with a record-setting time of 39.23 and won the Drake Relays.

“Woods ran the third leg on the 4×100 team and one of the guys he ran against was Warrick Dunn and he pretty much ran away from him,” Lynn said.

Dunn is an ex-running back for the Florida State Seminoles and possible future NFL draft pick. Since Woods’ freshman season, he has bettered his times every year.

“All ready run faster than last year in all his events. When Jason was a freshman his time in the 110 hurdles was 14.73 and in the 400 hurdles he ran a 53.42,” said Lynn.

“This year he has all ready run a 13.72 in the 110 hurdle, which is over a second off his freshman time and is the equivalent of over ten yards,” he added.

“In the 400 hurdles he has run a 51.36, which I feel he will improve upon. He barely made finals as a freshman and finished sixth and now he has become a champion.”

Woods’ accomplishments have not gone unnoticed by his teammates.

“Last year Woods was voted the most improved athlete on the track team,” said Lynn. “Fortunatly he still has one year left, if he continues to stay healthy he will keep on getting better.”