Keeping everything safe

Kim Mcmillen

A number of Iowa State students have decided to forsake partying this weekend to make sure their peers have a safe Veishea.

Almost 80 students volunteered to be Veishea peer security officers for this year’s celebration.

Peer security co-coordinator Brad James said each officer will spend a total of 12 hours patrolling Welch Avenue and other Veishea events.

James said peer security is designed to act as a liaison between the people attending Veishea events and local law enforcement. He said peer security officers are there to handle minor problems and keep aggression and hostility at low levels.

Michelle Berhow, a junior in special education, said she volunteered for peer security as a good way to get involved with Veishea.

“We’re supposed to be friendly, greet everyone and try to help ensure that Veishea will be around for another 75 years,” Berhow said.

Peer security co-coordinator Wade Lancaster said officers have been trained in basic self-defense, first aid and conflict management. They have also been educated on Ames laws, penalties and ordinances of Ames.

Twelve of the peer security officers and six faculty members have been assigned to Party Response Teams which will visit off-campus parties this weekend and warn hosts of any problems at the party that will attract the Ames Police Department or the Department of Public Safety, James said.

James said the teams typically warn hosts about problems such as crowds in the street, furniture in yards and multiple kegs.

James said students shouldn’t be worried if a party response team visits their party.

“We’re not there to write tickets or accuse people of anything; we’re just there to let them know about the laws,” James said. “We’ll just stop in to talk and see if they’re having any problems. Students should not be surprised if we stop by to talk to them.”

James said the goal of peer security and the party response team is to “give the students a free chance before they actually do get [into serious trouble].”

“One of our biggest goals is to make sure that Veishea will be around for another 75 years,” Lancaster said.