Poor Ag College representation

Vanessa Lutz and Ginger Glawe

February 19, 1997 the Ag Council, representing every curriculum club and a number of subsequent ag-related clubs, unanimously supported a resolution in support of specialty seats. One would have hoped that this message would be clear enough to our GSB senators. Students from the College of Agriculture should have been able to put faith into their senator, Adam Obrecht, to represent them appropriately, especially after articulating their interests in the form of a written resolution.

Adam Obrecht, member of Martin Jishke’s multicultural task force should have been the last person to try and eliminate diversity from GSB. However, after the last GSB Constitutional Convention, in which Obrecht decided to crash, it is clearly evident that our college’s senator is representing no one but himself and his twisted agenda.

The specialty seats serve an important purpose here on campus. When we have attended GSB meetings, often the only support and representation we get is from the specialty seats.

For the most part, these senators are some of the few that take their positions seriously. They are committed to serving their constituents. They listen when students come to meetings to articulate their concerns.

We went to the GSB Wednesday night, with other students from the College of Agriculture, to articulate our concerns and Adam Obrecht, our senator, left the room.

The thought of international, minority, nontraditional or students with disabilities being represented solely by college senators such as Obrecht is truly frightening. It is evident that if our only representation were our college senators, we would obviously have no representation at all. We strongly encourage all students to vote for the constitution and vote to KEEP the specialty seats.

Vanessa Lutz

Senior

Agricultural Education

Ginger Glawe

Senior

Agricultural Studies