Brain need a rest? Sit back, relax in Stress-Free Zones

Renee Fosselman

It’s time to take a break from the books and the stress of looming finals.

From Wednesday through Friday, students can unwind and rejuvenate with massage therapy, Legos, progressive relaxation, race cars, bubble-blowing and dart guns at the Stress-Free Zones.

From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., “Relaxation Central” at the Sloss House and the “Play Room” in Room B15 of the Memorial Union will provide students with the opportunity to escape the pressure of upcoming finals and approaching deadlines for projects, papers and presentations.

“The Stress-Free Zones will give students a way to take a break from the books and relieve stress in a healthy manner,” said Stephanie Chervinko, program coordinator for the Office of Adult Learner and Commuter Student Programs.

The Zones were implemented about this time last semester.

“People will definitely like the Legos,” Chervinko said. “They asked for them last time.”

Chervinko said in addition to playing with toys, students will have the opportunity to participate in a coloring contest and throw darts at balloons.

“If you bust a balloon, you get a stress tip,” she said.

For those who are not relaxed through balloon busting and bubble-blowing, the Sloss Center will provide a quiet, soothing atmosphere to unwind.

“I definitely think that people should try to take part in the progressive relaxation,” Chervinko said. “Many people haven’t done it before. It’s a good way to relax and you can do it at home.”

Lynette Hornung, sexual assault awareness coordinator for the Sloss Center, said one activity at Relaxation Central is limited. Massage therapy will be available on Thursday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Students can sign up for a time in Room 203 in the Sloss Center on central campus.

Along with the Office of Adult Learner and Commuter Student Programs and the Sloss Center, the Dean of Students Office, the ISU Student Health Center, LAS Council, SUB, the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, University Child Care and the Student Counseling Center are sponsoring the Zones.

“We hope a lot of people come out and take a break. Everyone needs to take one. For those who say they can’t afford to take a break, I say, they can’t afford not to,” Chervinko said.