Rump shakin’ fund-raiser

Laura Baitinger

Hineys were shaking and bums were bouncing late Sunday night during a contest to find out who has the best butt in the College of Agriculture.

Between 250-300 people attended the third annual Best Butts Contest, sponsored by the Dairy Science Club, Sunday night at Hunky Dory’s Night Club.

Of the 34 contestants entered in the contest, the best male and female derrieres were chosen by the fans, who took a break from the crowded dance floor to decide whose butt was the best.

And the winning rears went to — Matt Schuiteman, a senior in agronomy, and Charlotte Handschke, a sophomore in dairy science.

Schuiteman said the members of Alpha Zeta, an agricultural honorary fraternity, did not give him a chance to say no to the nomination.

“I feel deeply honored,” Schuiteman said. “So honored, my cheeks are blushing.”

Handschke, representing the Dairy Science Club, said it felt awesome to win the honor. She said her butt is the best because “it’s from Wisconsin and it speaks for itself.”

The contestants, nominated by 23 clubs in the College of Ag, lined the dance floor waiting for their moments in the spotlight to strut their stuff.

Participants filled out humorous applications which were read as they paraded around. Questions ranged from favorite class and professor to their favorite types of underwear. Each also had to justify why his butt was the best and give advice to fellow students.

Schuiteman’s advice to his peers was “start training to tighten that thang for the best butts contest.”

Fans then put money in jars, each jar had a picture of a contestant, and the one with the most money was the winner.

Wranglers and Levi’s were the apparel of choice as ag students, and students outside of ag, danced the night away to one of the college’s most popular fund-raising events.

Artificial palm trees hanging from the ceiling and music that went beyond the realm of Garth Brooks and Reba McIntire, helped break the typical cowboy stereotype of the country dance club. The dance floor held many two-stepping couples as well as some disco divas and head-bangers.

Tonia Hesse, a sophomore in dairy science, said the event was a success and it seemed like everybody had a good time. About $50 was raised. Better communication between ag clubs led to the event’s best turnout ever, she said.

“The contest gives students in the College of Ag something to come out and do to meet new people,” Hesse said. Plus, she said, the best butt award has become a symbol of prestige for those clubs who have a reigning champion.

However, not just students were in on the act. One professor shook his money-maker in the name of fun.

Jim Kliebenstein, professor of economics, represented Ag Student Council in the contest and was the only adviser to compete. Although he has participated in other student fund-raisers, he said, this was his first best butts contest.

“It is fun to be with the students,” Kliebenstein said. “It’s good wholesome fun.”