GSB cuts funds from 3 of the largest publications on campus

Tara Deering

Three of the most prominent student publications on campus will lose money in next year’s Government of the Student Body allocations.

The Senate approved $36,000 in funding for ethos Magazine at Wednesday night’s meeting in the South Ballroom of the Memorial Union. Last week, senators voted to send the magazine back to the Finance Committee for a decrease in its original recommendation of $42,000.

Also approved was about a $14,000 cut in the Daily’s 1997-98 GSB allocation. For the past three years, the Daily has received $89,000 from GSB. Next year, the Daily will receive about $75,000.

The Drummer, Iowa State’s alternative newspaper, will also lose money. The Senate approved $9,500 for The Drummer, down from $10,600 this year. The Finance Committee originally recommended The Drummer only receive $7,500. Some senators pushed to zero-fund the newspaper.

About 25 ethos supporters and 10 representatives from the Daily turned out at Wednesday night’s Senate meeting to protest.

After much debate and a presentation by the ethos Magazine staff, senators rejected a quasi-proposal to again send the magazine back to the Finance Committee for re-evaluation. The proposal came about on Sen. Rory Flaherty’s motion to rescind his motion last week to send ethos back for a decrease. Wednesday’s motion took a two-thirds majority to pass. Only 16 of the 28 senators who voted were in favor of Flaherty’s motion to rescind.

Flaherty said he never envisioned such a large cut last week.

After Flaherty’s motion failed, senators had only two options under the by-laws: approve the new recommendation or zero-fund the group. Several senators suggested changing the by-laws or suspending them to allow ethos’ funding to again be reconsidered by the Finance Committee. They were not successful.

Matt Seifert, editor in chief of ethos, passed out copies of the magazine and a sheet explaining why it needed more money than $36,000.

Seifert said he believes senators think ethos isn’t using its advertising profits to help produce the magazine. He said magazine officials use the money to buy supplies such as computers.

The ethos staff also presented the Senate with a petition. The petition, asking that ethos’ funding not be cut, had more than 600 signatures.

Amy Hillman, ethos promotions manager, said the cut will mean fewer issues and poorer quality.

“Our magazine is an award-winning magazine and if our quality decreases with the decrease in our funds, not that many people will want to read the magazine,” Hillman said.

Hillman asked senators to take into consideration the rise of inflation when voting.

The issue of ethos’ readership was also brought up. Seifert said he doesn’t know exactly who reads the magazine, but he said most ethos newsstands run out every week.

Mark Nimmer, off campus, said he doesn’t read the magazine. He said he didn’t really doesn’t want to fund it at all, but he would settle for the $36,000 allocation. Not everyone agreed.

Rob Ruminski, LAS, said ISU needs quality publications like the Daily and ethos because students aren’t independently wealthy enough to subscribe to other publications.

Milton McGriff, nontraditional, was also supportive of sending back ethos for an increase. “It seems to me the senators who are now worried about money, weren’t worried about money when they were going to fund the Cigar Club for expensive cigar cutters,” McGriff said.

Daily Editor Chris Miller said at the meeting that he didn’t understand why the Senate would cut money from the “three most effective student voices on campus at a time when the university has enough problems with free-speech issues.”

“I really don’t understand it,” Miller said.