Fewer touch-tone troubles

Hayley Cox

It’s registration time again.

For some Iowa State University students, registration is a hassle and a headache, but to others, it really is not a problem.

Laura Doering, assistant registrar, said she personally has not received any formal complaints this year regarding registration, but, she said, that doesn’t mean everyone is happy with the system either.

Students may be talking to their advisers about any complaints they may have, instead of going to the registrar.

Even though Doering personally has not received any formal complaints, there are two commonly heard complaints in the registrar’s office. The first complaint is that classes are full.

“I know that there are some over-subscribed classes, such as English 302 and 314,” she said.

Doering said when a student tries to register for a class that is already full, the computer automatically logs hin on a waiting list.

The best thing a student could do if he did not get into a class he needed would be to talk to the professor, she said. “It’s up to their discretion,” she said.

“If they felt there was a real abuse in the system, the registrar is responsible,” Doering said.

“I couldn’t get into English 302 or 314,” said Mindy McGrath, a junior in communication disorders, who needs at least one of those classes for her major.

Kari Ditsworth, assistant adviser in journalism and mass communications, said, “It’s kind of the luck of the draw.”

She agrees with Doering and says the best thing students can do is talk to the professors of the classes in which they want to enroll.

The second complaint is that the registration start date is not as early as it should be, Doering said. The registration dates given are almost never wrong, Doering said.

Kala Kasperbauer, a junior in finance, said, “It’s frustrating when you can’t get into the classes you need. It’d be nice if they could open up more sections for the classes that fill up quickly.”

In the spring of 1995, ISU was given the ACT Student Opinion Survey. In the area of registration, on a five-point scale, ISU was given a 3.82. The national level was a 3.29.

Lynn Sandeman, academic adviser for liberal arts and sciences, said she has received complaints from freshman who could not register for the classes they wanted. “We sit down and look at all of the other options,” she said.

Laura Meyer, a sophomore in mathematics, said she found it easier to enroll in classes after her first year was finished.

“Now that I am older and have acquired more credits, it is easier to get into the classes I need. But my first year here, all of the juniors and sophomores were getting the classes I needed,” she said.

Sandeman said, often times, such as dead week or finals week, classes open, so students should keep trying.