Retirement ends era

Laura Baitinger

Beverly Crabtree, dean of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences, (CFCS) will be honored at a reception for her retirement next Thursday.

Whether dealing with alumni, students or faculty, Crabtree has a warm way of greeting and interacting with people, said Mary Joan Glanville, communications specialist for CFCS.

Glanville said Crabtree is one of the most enthusiastic advocates for the college and the FCS profession. She always is willing to speak to groups about the college and its programs, Glanville said.

“I think she is a tremendous spokesman,” Glanville said. “Her sincerity comes across to others.”

As an alumna of CFCS, Glanville is proud of the work Crabtree has done for the college. She works for the college as a whole and does not pick apart the departments, she said.

“I will miss her tireless energy for the college,” she said.

Crabtree came to Iowa State 10 years ago to serve as dean of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences. Prior to this position, she served as dean of the College of Home Economics at Oklahoma State University for 12 years.

She became interested in home economics because of her work with childhood 4-H projects and the County Home Extension Agent. Crabtree said she has been blessed over the years with mentors who had confidence in her. Throughout her years in higher education, she said people encouraged her to continue her education and look into the area of administration.

“I would like to think in 33 years of working in higher education that I have encouraged others to think higher,” Crabtree said. “I have enjoyed the opportunity to work with outstanding people, especially the students because they keep us young.”

Crabtree said she stresses a balance in her career, family and personal life. Her husband, Jewell Crabtree, is a retired agronomy professor from Oklahoma State University. They have two children and one grandchild. Crabtree said she hopes to have more time to travel and to be with her family.

“I still enjoy what I am doing but there are other avenues I want to pursue,” Crabtree said.

The Crabtrees will live in Ames to enjoy the vitality of the university city, she said. Crabtree said she looks forward to reading books at her leisure and writing a manuscript from her speeches.

Working with the Center for Family Policy is Crabtree’s dream project, she said. The Center was approved in February and will become an interdisciplinary program working with other agencies and universities. It will look at public and corporate policies affecting families. She will continue to work for the university out of her home office for the next year.

Crabtree said the most meaningful honors she has received are from students.

She was selected as parade marshal for the 1997 Veishea parade and was named 1992 Veishea professor of the year. Crabtree has served on several national committees and task forces. She also has won several national awards.

Students, faculty, staff and alumni are welcome to submit letters of tribute to Crabtree. The letters can be sent to Maurice MacDonald, 1092 LeBaron, by Friday.

Crabtree’s retirement reception will be held on Thursday, May 1 from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. A program will begin at 4:15 p.m.