DPS Log

Daily Staff Writer

April 17

* While working the bars with Ames P.D., officer noticed a male put a mug of beer on the ground with some beer left in it near Bangkok Bar on Welch Ave. Officer checked his ID, and it showed that he was under the age of 21. Officer cited Craig Duane Calhoun, 228 Gray Ave., for possession under the legal age.

* Officer stopped a vehicle at Welch Ave. and Hunt St. for turning a corner too fast and not having its headlights on. When officer approached the driver, Erreth Kai Hunter, 2112 Lincoln Way, he could smell a strong odor of alcohol. Officer administered field sobriety tests to Hunter, which he failed. Hunter was placed under arrest for driving under the influence.

* Officer stopped a vehicle at Lincoln Way and Welch Ave. for not having its headlights on. When officer approached the driver, Matthew J. Morris, 246 N. Hyland Ave. #1, he noticed an odor of alcohol. Officer administered field sobriety tests and gave him a breath test. The test showed him to be under the legal limit. Officer transported Morris to DPS office, where he was cited for .02 violation.

* Nancy M. Preston, 14 Hamilton Hall, reported that she had left her wallet in her backpack in Room 14 of Hamilton Hall. She said she left her door open, and unlocked, while she was down the hall in a classroom. When she returned, she noticed her money was missing from the wallet. Estimated loss is $30.

* Chris Moe, 125 N. Hyland, reported that he had locked his bicycle to the chain link fence on the south side of MacKay Hall overnight. When he returned, the bike was gone. Estimated loss is $500.

* Officer stopped two males in Lot 63. One of the males was carrying a case of beer, and the other was carrying a bag. The beer was being carried by a male that was of legal age. The other male, Ryan Lee Schmitt, 8313 Larch Hall, was not of legal age, and was

carrying three bottles of Black Velvet whiskey. Schmitt was cited for possession under the legal age.

* Officer arrested Carla Ann Beneke, 428 Freeman Hall, for public intoxication.

* Corrinne Kinnaman, 3129 Maple Hall, was cited for possession under the legal age. She was found in Room 4477 Friley Hall at a room party.

* Douglas Lee Burris, 300 Stanton #607, reported that his bicycle was stolen from outside of the Durham Center. He said the bike was not locked at the time of the theft. Estimated loss is $500.

April 18

* Officer charged Jeremy Allen Hanson, 7455 Wilson Hall, for possession under the legal age. He was cited and released.

* Officer stopped a vehicle at S. 4th St. and Elwood Drive after he observed the passenger sitting with his upper body out the window. When officer approached the driver of the vehicle to explain why he had been stopped, officer could smell an odor of alcohol coming from the vehicle. Officer administered field sobriety tests to the driver, Alex Jayasampurna, 640 S. 4th St. #33, which he failed. Jayasampurna was placed under arrest for OWI.

* Officer found a vehicle in Lot 61 that had been vandalized. DPS contacted Adam DeJoode, 4335 Wallace Hall, and he went out to the vehicle. The right front passenger window had been smashed out and the antenna was bent. Estimated damage is $230.

* Vehicle registered to Brian Joseph Leonard, 1520 Highland, was properly parked in Lot 63. When he came back, he found the vehicle tipped over on its side. Estimated damage to vehicle is $400.

* DPS student reserve officer reported seeing three subjects putting beer in a car. He checked their IDs and found them under the legal age. Officers arrived and cited Timothy Albert, 402 Grand Box 175, Gladbrook, and Kenneth LeRoy Hamm, 211 Caster, Eldon, and Brian Adamson, 3320 Tropic Lane #4, Waterloo, for possession under the legal age.

* Officer arrested Chad Allan Olson, 604 W. Monroe, Jefferson, on a warrant out of Decatur County.

* Officer cited Alicia Smith, 2100 East Lincoln, Elridge, for possession under the legal age, after officer observed her with two cans of beer on Hayward Ave.

* Officer observed two subjects standing on the sidewalk near Birch Hall with beer in their possession. Officer approached and checked their IDs. It showed that they were under the legal age. Officer cited Jeremy Mark Hough, 616 1/2 1st Ave. #1, Esterville, for possession under the legal age, and Story County cited the other subjects.

* Officer arrested Ronald Bruce Strohbehn, 11806 Coon Hunter Rd., Blue Grass, for public intoxication, outside Maple Hall.

* Officer arrested Jay Douglas Putensen, 4920 210 St., Cushing, after he was found carrying alcohol at Clyde Williams Field. He was cited and released.

* Officer arrested Gregory Ryan Reed, 4500 92nd Court, Urbandale, for public intoxication at Union Drive and Bissell Road.

* Officer arrested Jeremiah Lee Hauser, 606 S. Main St., Washington, for possession under the legal age. Hauser was cited and released.

April 19

* Officer cited Jesse J. Farmer, 7030 Glenn Oaks Dr., Lincoln, Neb., for possession of alcohol under the legal age, at Knapp St. and Stanton Ave.

* Officer picked up a male juvenile for public intoxication. Subject was transported to Mary Greeley Medical Center ER, via ambulance, from DPS. He was referred to juvenile services.

* Officer cited James Delue Lang, 11032 Cottingham, Peosta, for possession under the legal age at Knapp St. and Hayward Ave.

* Shelley Hu, night manager at the Memorial Union, reported that someone took two door knobs from the East Student Office doors. Estimated loss is $100.

* Carmela J. Pick, 6805 Lake Shore Drive, Okoboji, reported that while her vehicle was parked in Lot 60, someone broke the driver’s side window, the driver’s side mirror, and scratched the driver’s side door. Estimated damage is $215.

* Officer saw a male and female walking southbound at the intersection of Sunset Drive and Gray Ave., carrying cans of beer. Officer stopped them and checked their IDs and found that neither was of legal age. Thalia N. Liras, 457 Levidi Lane, Geneseo, Ill., and Josh David Markward, 870 Martin Ct., Geneseo, Ill., were cited for possession under the legal age, and released.

* Officer cited Ryan Paul Henderson, 1316 S. Duff Ave., for public consumption at the Kwik Shop in the 2700 block of Lincoln Way.

* Officer cited Zachary Glen Stone, 1918 West 2nd St., Perry, for .02 violation, at Lincoln Way and Wilmouth.

* Officer arrested Rodney Jones, 440 Welch Ave., for public intoxication, after officer observed him staggering on Welch Road.

* Officer stopped a vehicle in the 4000 block of Lincoln Way for only one working headlight. The passengers in the back seat were acting strange as the officer approached the car. A bag was found in the back seat, with some beer in it. All the occupants were under the legal age. Officers cited Todd Peter Drees, 615 4th Ave., Dyersville, Chad Andrew Soppe, 729 1st Ave. W., Dyersville, Shawn Michael Fitzgerald, 414 2nd Ave. S. W., Dyersville, Carolyn Elaine Hail, 427 Shell Hall, Cedar Falls, Matthew Michael Knepper, 1311 9th Ave. S. E., Dyersville, and Matthew John Willenborg, 502 10th Ave. S. E., Dyersville, and were released.

* Jacob Gustave Zweibohmer, 1105 Friley Hall, reported that while his vehicle was parked in Lot 60, someone broke into it and took his CD player. Estimated loss and damage is $350.

*ÿOfficer cited Michael Lee Overman, 1221 J Ave., Perry, and Ryan Lee Johnston, 2060 250th, Grand Junction, for possession under the legal age.

* Forrest Earl Goodman, 4523 Friley Hall, reported that while his vehicle was parked in Lot 60, someone broke out the sliding rear window. Estimated damage is $100.

* Ogden Allied brought two intoxicated males to the booking area at Hilton Coliseum. One male was a juvenile and was cited and referred to the juvenile court. The second male, Gerald Colburn Brents, 3900 57th St., Des Moines, was placed under arrest for public intoxication.

*Hilton Coliseum ushers reported that a male might be passed out and sick in his seat. Upon arrival, officers found Jeffrey Lyle Rogers, 1011 Lewis Ave., Des Moines passed out. Officers carried the subject out of Hilton. He was placed under arrest for public intoxication.

* DPS Student Rerserve Officer found an intoxicated subject at Clyde Williams Field. Upon arrival, officer found Craig S. Ehlinger, 5663 Kirkwood, Cedar Rapids. When doing a routine check through NCIC it was found that Ehlinger was under the age of 21. Ehlinger was placed under arrest for public intoxication and possession under the legal age.

* Officer cited Sean G. Bister, 1100 College Ave., Iowa Falls, for possession under the legal age.

* Officer arrested Janet Lea Blackford, 2110 E. Lyon, Des Moines, for public intoxication.

* Officer found three subjects in possession under the legal age. The three subjects were referred to juvenile court.

* Officer arrested Jason Matthew Quade, 1617 Birch, Norwalk, for public intoxication and harassment of a public official.

* Officer arrested Robert A. Clugston, 1713 1/2 W. Milwaukee, Storm Lake, for public intoxication and possession of alcohol under the legal age.

* Sarah Robinson, 1285 T Ave., Boone, reported that while her vehicle was parked in Lot 60, someone broke out the rear window of her vehicle with a brick and bent the rear door window frame. Estimated damage is $300. Shana K. Spence, 248 S. Story St., Boone, reported that someone took her purse out of the vehicle. They took her cellular phone and $20 in cash. The purse, and the rest of the contents, were found in the wooded area south of the lot. Estimated loss is $220.

* Gary E. Spooner, 1533 13th St., Des Moines, reported that his vehicle had been stolen out of Lot C-4, while he attended the Kiss concert. Estimated loss is $10,000.

* Officer cited and released Kelly Robert Barnes, 620 S. Montgomery, Colfax, for possession of alcohol under the legal age.

April 20

* Officer cited Bart O. Eben, 1144 23rd, West Des Moines, for possession under the legal age in the 200 block of Hunt.

* Officer cited Barry Donald Kincart, 305 West Jefferson, Bloomfield, for possession under the legal age.

* Douglas Anthony Hoenig, 1406 Fairway Drive, Marshalltown, and Bradley Ryan Hanchak, 2351 Oak Park Road, Marshalltown, were cited for possession under the legal age.

* Chad E. Gorr, 6512 N. 44th, Omaha, Neb., reported that someone had taken his RCA dish off the back of his bus while it was parked near Hilton Coliseum. Estimated loss is $400.

* Ricki Dean Wiggs, 409 Beall, Sloan, was cited for possession of alcohol under the legal age outside State Gym.

* Officer arrested Daniel Jay Whitehead, for public intoxication, on Elwood Drive.

* Katherine Cook, 2628 Iowa Ave., Cedar Falls, reported that while she was at the Main Attraction/The Zone, with some friends, and her sister and brother-in-law, her brother-in-law struck her sister. The victim advised she doesn’t want to file charges.

* Officer found a vehicle with its window broken out, in Lot J. Officer checked inside of the vehicle, and noticed that the radio was gone. The victim was a visitor, DPS was unable to contact her. The owner called DPS office later, to report the incident. The registered owner is Tami Ann Nelson, 509 Margaret St., Round Lake, Minn. Estimated damage to the vehicle is $200. Estimated loss is $200.

* Eric Chrystal, 101H University Village, reported that while his vehicle was parked in his parking stall, someone entered the vehicle, and took his stereo. There were no signs of forced entry on the vehicle. Estimated loss is $680.

* Jamey Miller, 2820 Vinton St., Omaha, Neb., reported that while her vehicle was parked in the Memorial Union Ramp, someone dented the hood of her car. Estimated damage is $500.

* Chad Osborn, 8255 Knapp Hall, reported that while his vehicle was parked in Lot 61, someone threw a black plastic object through the rear passenger side window. Estimated damage is $150.

* Pik Fun Lee, 8154 Buchanan Hall, reported that Colleen Bly, 2762 Buchanan Hall, had brought a car stereo into the desk at the Post Office in Buchanan Hall. She said that she had found it under a vehicle in Lot 62. Lee went out to check her vehicle, because the radio looked a lot like hers and found that it was her radio. She said that her vehicle was locked at the time of the theft. No suspects. Estimated loss and recovery of the radio is $50. Estimated damage to the dash, when they took the radio out of it, is $50.

* Erica Andre, 1247 Knapp Hall, reported that her clothing was taken from the laundry room in Knapp Hall. She said the clothes were taken out of the dryer. Estimated loss is $465.

* Jospeh Behan, 230 Campus Ave. #211, reported that someone has taken his portfolio and art supplies from his locker in the basement of the Design Center. Estimated loss is $215.

* Valerie Brennar, 53C Schilletter Village, reported that someone had damaged the door to her residence. She stated that the damage occurred while no one was home. Estimated damage is $150.

* Jeremy Bower, 16767 E23 Co Home Rd., Anamosa, reported that while his vehicle was parked in Lot 50, someone damaged the top portion of the passenger side fender and hood. Estimated damage is $500.

* Amanda Knief, 5134 Storms Hall, the RA, reported that someone has taken a computer from the den. Estimated loss is $1,000.

April 21

* Charles R. Sage, 435 Welch Ave., reported he had left his wallet in his locker, and left the locker unlocked. When he returned, he found his money missing from the wallet. Estimated loss is $102.