Not just a classroom

Denise Smith

Newsweek religion editor Kenneth Woodward said students need to realize they are in college not to equip themselves for a job, but to obtain tools for living.

In front of a crowd of about 100, Woodward, also a senior writer for Newsweek, gave the speech “Religion and the University” Tuesday night in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

“Education is only partially in the classroom — you need to search for what your gift is,” Woodward said. Students need to aim to “open themselves” so a vocation can choose them.

Woodward said students’ vocations right now are to be a student.

“It is a chance to grow spiritually, morally, intellectually and socially.” He joked that his kids in college focused on the social part more than anything.

Woodward said, “I think it is a waste of time for 18- to 19-year-olds to be in college. Students are best educated when they are focused.” Students coming right out of high school should be forced to do community service for a couple of years until they are ready to take on the college experience, he said.

“The professors love teaching middle-aged people because they have more emotional maturity,” Woodward said. He said individuals spark individuals and teachers should strive to become mentors who have a real impact on their students.

Woodward developed his lecture around three questions that students need to ask themselves when faced with a situation: “Is it worth it? Like to do it? And can I do it?”

He said religion is a matter of roots and horizons.

“It is about where we come from and where we are going.” He said we each need to discover how “our story” fits into religion.

“As students you have the privilege to come to know your own tradition more deeply and to share more generously,” Woodward said.

He said Christians need character, competence and commitment.

“The Bible is not an answer book, but is interpreted according to your own tradition.” God’s grace increases “the more it is passed around,” he said.

The lecture was sponsored by St. Thomas Aquinas Church and the Catholic Student Center at Iowa State. The speech by Woodward was part of St. Thomas’ continuing series of lectures by prominent Catholic speakers.