Food and fun part of early Veishea festivities

Laura Baitinger

One day, two days, three, four — the “Countdown to Veishea” is on, and the Colleges of Agriculture and Family and Consumer Sciences plan to celebrate in advance.

Both colleges will showcase their activities and organizations, as well as provide food and fun for their students on Tuesday.

College of Agriculture

Students, faculty and staff in the College of Ag are invited to a free lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., west of Curtiss Hall. The event is hosted by Sigma Alpha, the professional ag women’s sorority, with support from the college and Ag Student Council, local businesses and county commodity associations.

The Story County Pork Producers and Cattleman will grill 2,000 pork and beef sandwiches.

Elizabeth Freyermuth, a senior in food science, said although there was a shortage of food last year, they have planned for more this year. Students will need to show their fee card to receive the meal which includes the burger, potato chips, dessert and lemonade.

“We’re expecting a large and hungry turn out,” Freyermuth said.

At 1 p.m. the second annual Ag Olympics will take place on central campus. Teams of four people will compete in farm-related activities such as a bale stack and saw dust dig.

WHO-AM radio will broadcast the event live.

Alpha Zeta, the honorary ag fraternity, will sponsor the second annual Pie Throwing Contest from 12 a.m. to 3 p.m. Professors, deans and students have volunteered to have pies thrown in their face for the fund-raiser.

College of FCS

College of FCS students who miss decorating cookies like they did at home for the holidays should stop by LeBaron Foyer Tuesday.

The FCS council will sponsor sugar cookie decorating from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

All students are encouraged to stop and participate because there will be lots of frosting and goodies, said Bev Kruempel, adviser to the FCS Council. This is the first year the council has sponsored the activity.

Displays from the Financial Counseling Clinic and the Palmer Building display will be in the LeBaron Lounge from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Textiles and Clothing pictures will also show activities in the college.

“We hope to involve the whole college,” Kruempel said. “We are promoting these selected three programs.”