DPS Log

Daily Staff Writer

April 1

* Driving under the influence, 3300 block of Lincoln Way. Officer stopped a vehicle in the 3300 block of Lincoln Way, after following it from Hayward Ave. for swerving in the lane. When officer approached the driver, Shannon David Swenson, 2945 Rutland Ave., Des Moines, he could smell a strong odor of alcohol on Swenson’s person. Officer administered field sobriety tests, which Swenson failed. Swenson was placed under arrest for OWI.

* Herbert David, 304B Snedecor Hall, reported he had left his coat on a table in his office, about a month ago. On March 20 he noticed that the coat was missing. Estimated loss is $50.

* Lise M. Marcell, 363 Bessey Hall, reported she left her back pack, with her purse in it, sitting on a table in room 363 Bessey Hall. When she returned, she found her purse gone.

* Memorial Union parking ramp attendant reported that a person on a red motorcycle left the ramp without paying for its parking. Attendant later called and advised the person to come in and pay the parking fee.

* Jeffrey William Hanson, 3240 Welch Hall, reported that he had locked his bicycle to the bike rack on the east side of Pearson Hall. When he returned, the bike was missing. Estimated loss is $400.

April 2

* Laura J. Vaske, 4234 Willow Hall, reported that while her vehicle was parked in Lot 63, someone hit it with a golfball, damaging the windshield. Estimated damage is $200.

* Arrest on warrant, Rec Center.

April 3

* Officer arrested Joshua Aaron Gray, 402 E. Lane St., Jewell, for public intoxication, after officer saw him walking very unsteady in the Dean’s List.

* Officer stopped a vehicle at Lincoln Way and Russell Ave., for driving with its back-up lights on. The driver of the vehicle, Tina Marie Buck, 23341 East Ave., Radcliffe, Iowa, was driving under suspension. Buck was cited for driving under suspension.

* Officer cited Laura Jean Cagney, 302 Ash Ave., for being on the premises of a bar under the legal age after officer witnessed her leave the Dean’s List with a 32 oz. mug in her hand.

* Two abandoned bicycles were found by College Creek near the Memorial Union.

* DPS received a fire alarm from Marston Hall. Officers and the fire department were dispatched. After a search of the building, the fire was found above the ceiling tiles in the first floor men’s restroom. It was also found that someone had pulled the station at the northwest doors to the building. Ames P. D. and Fire Arson Investigators were called to the scene.

* Theft, Friley Hall.

* Tricia Sandahl, 100 University Village, reported that a window had been broken out, inside of the University Village laundry. Estimated damage is $75.

April 4

* A clerk at the main desk of the Memorial Union reported a subject sleeping on a sofa in main lounge. Officers responded and found the person to be intoxicated. Officers arrested Jeffrey Thomas Berhow, 40, 1634 Carroll Ave., for drunkenness.

* Debi A. Patis, 444 Freeman Hall, reported that while her vehicle was parked in Lot 50B, someone damaged her vehicle and left a nasty note on her windshield. Estimated damage is $300.

* Caleb D. Galwe, 1215 Wilson St. #1, reported that while his vehicle was parked in the commuter lots at ISU, someone took his cell phone from his vehicle. He said he accidentally left his vehicle unlocked, and when he returned, the phone was gone. He also stated that the glove box had been found open.

* Theft, North side of Linden Hall.

* Theft, Willow Hall.

April 5

* Driving under the influence, 200 block of Welch Ave.

* A DPS Student Reserve Officer reported that a female was walking on Union Dr., on the north side of Lake Laverne with an open can of beer. She was cited for possession of alcohol under the legal age and released.

* Sara Ziegler, 3607 Helser Hall, reported that while her vehicle was parked in front of Maple Hall, someone took some cash off the dash. She said she had left the vehicle unlocked while she went into the building for about 15 minutes and when she returned the money was gone. Estimated loss is $2.00.

* DPS received a phone call to do a welfare check on two females that had visited the campus the night of April 4. DPS received a call from the father a short time later informing DPS that the girls were on their way home to Mason City.

* Jacob Beneke, 3345 Friley Hall, reported that while his vehicle was parked in Lot 1, someone broke into the vehicle and took the center counsel indicator lights unit, and his CB radio. Estimated damage and loss is $230.

April 6

* Drunkenness, Lincoln Way and Welch Ave.

April 7

* Theft from motor vehicle, Lot 59D. Brent D. Davis, 0216 Helser Hall, reported that while his vehicle was parked in Lot 59D, someone broke into the bed box and took some baseball equipment. Estimated loss is $175.

* DPS officers were dispatched to 1412 Wilson Hall on a call of a suspicious odor believed to be marijuana. Officers charged Deanna Kristine Weir, 19, 1412 Wilson Hall, with prohibitive acts and possession of marijuana and Jeremy Gene Nichols, 18, 408 Shepard St., Dows, with prohibited acts and possession of marijuana.

* Two persons were charged with underage possession of alcohol. They were released on citation. Officers charged Evan J. Paul-Petersen, 19, 6436 Wilson Hall, and Anthony Eugene Salmon, 19, 8448 Wilson Hall.

* Robert Fox, custodian in Beardshear Hall, reported that someone had ripped the window screen to the men’s restroom. The window was closed and locked so no entrance was made. Estimated damage is $5.00.

* Jim R. Theilen, Memorial Union vending, reported that someone had pried open the door of a snack machine in Willow Hall and removed candy/snacks, and some cash from the machine. Estimated damage and loss is $456.20.

* Parks Library employee reported that a student had been harassed in Tier 2 of Parks Library. DPS officer was told that a male had come up to her and told her to keep the noise down, as she was looking for a book. She said that she had told him she was sorry. She said that he came up to her again, a few minutes later, and started to yell at her about being noisy. She said she then left the room because she felt intimidated and scared. The suspect was gone when officer arrived.

* Jaye Stefani, 202 Catt Hall, reported that someone has taken a marble brick out of the sidewalk on the south side of Catt Hall. Estimated loss is $750.

* Jake Wedsley, 3703 Helser Hall, reported that someone has taken a plaque from one of the hallways in the Armory. He said when he was checking other areas, he found the Marine flag was missing from the south hallway and the Navy flag had been torn. Estimated loss and damage is $150.

* DPS Student Reserve Officer reported a window broken inside of Room 116 MacKay Hall. Upon arrival, he noticed the curtains blowing around from the wind. He saw broken glass outside, between the door and the screen door. There were no signs of criminal mischief, and he thinks the strong winds of the night before may have broken the window. Maintenance was notified.