Hotel chain searches for ‘Renaissance Collegian’

Okley Gibbs

Renaissance Hotels and Resorts is searching for a student that is not hard to find.

The hotel and resort company is conducting a national search for the “Renaissance Collegian,” a college student who “will embark on a four-week overseas adventure this summer to discover the arts throughout Europe, Asia, South America and the Middle East,” according to a press release.

This is the first year for the Renaissance Collegian award. The award will cover airfare and accommodations, as well as a chaperone.

The competition is open to all U.S. college students who demonstrate a strong commitment to community service and academics, as well as outstanding talent in dance, theater, music, cuisine, athletics and visual arts.

Tom Stauffer, president of Renaissance Hotels International, said, “This award program is designed to recognize and reward an outstanding student who demonstrates both scholastic and artistic achievement by offering him or her an opportunity to explore the arts and culture abroad.”

Contest entries are due April 18. The winner will be announced on May 5.

To enter, interested people need to prepare a one-page personal essay titled, “Why I am a Renaissance Student.”

The essay must include details about personal goals and interest in continued cultural/arts education.

The entry must include a one-page biography outlining personal accomplishments in community service and academics, and talent in the performing and visual arts, cuisine and athletics.

Students must also include two references with addresses or phone numbers.

These materials can be sent via e-mail to renaissance_contest @rhi.com or via fax to (216)498-8810. Students can also mail entries to Renaissance Collegian Award, Renaissance Hotels International, 29800 Bainbridge Road, Solon, Ohio 44139-2297.

Applicants should include their address, phone number, e-mail address, age and name of university. For more details search the Renaissance web site at www.renaissancehotels.com, or call 1-800-842-6394.

According to the press release, the winner will be asked to keep a journal of his travels. The journal will then be published in local and national publications.