CLEP for college credit

Brian Klein

Iowa State has been named a site for the national College Level Examination Program, otherwise known as CLEP tests.

In the past, ISU has only offered the CLEP test to Iowa State students during certain times of the year.

But now, non-ISU students are allowed to take the tests, which will be given throughout the school year.

CLEP is the most widely accepted credit-by-examination program in the country.

The CLEP exams are not recommended for everyone though.

“[I recommend the CLEP tests] to those who are in high school, have had course work in the area of a test, or if the high school did not have advanced placement tests,” said Janet Croyle, coordinator of the Career Exploration Program.

She also recommended the test for people scoring a 25 or higher on their ACT tests.

Some of the different departments also have restrictions on the CLEP tests, so she advises students to talk to their advisers before taking a test.

According to a press release from the ISU Student Counseling Service Testing Office, the passing rate on the CLEP exams depends on the performance of the students taking the test.

Passing the test is determined by a percentile. In order to pass, the subject CLEP requires a position in the 50th percentile, while general CLEP exams require a 60th percentile rating.

Students are allowed to attain as many credit hours from the CLEP examinations as they want, Croyle said.

Subject examinations are for classes such as Principles of Accounting, Calculus with Elementary Functions, General Psychology, Introduction to Sociology and Trigonometry. General examinations do not fulfill specific course requirements but the exams will count toward graduation in all colleges except engineering.

According to the release, the average for ISU students on the subject area exams range from 30 to 40 percent. On the general exams, the pass rate is 42.6 percent for humanities, 78.3 percent for natural science and 73.5 percent for social science.

Most of the testing is given in June to incoming first-year students during orientation, but tests are given once a month year around.

Preparation for the CLEP exams can be obtained from the book, “The Official Study Guide for the CLEP Examinations.” A copy of the book can be found at the Ames Public Library, Parks Library and in most book stores.

Registration for the CLEP tests is coordinated through the Student Counseling Service Testing Office at Room 373 of Student Services Building or by telephone at 294-5058.