Diversity forum attracts 50

Denise Smith

At a diversity forum held Wednesday, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean Elizabeth Hoffman said her dream for Iowa State is “to see the four diversity programs on campus have a joint program one day.”

As a part of a noon panel discussion, Hoffman joined Provost John Kozak in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union to talk with representatives from the cross-disciplinary programs at Iowa State — African-American Studies, American Indian Studies, Women’s Studies and Latino Studies.

Hoffman said ISU is trying to develop “the best academic programs in ethnic and gender studies” by hiring the best faculty, developing curriculum and attracting students. She said she is encouraged by the implementation of the new three-credit diversity requirement starting next fall.

Kozak said, “We have to invent ways to give faculty an opportunity to broaden their background.”

The provost said one opportunity, “Project Aware,” is helping faculty pull diversity issues into their classrooms by teaming up with someone from a cross-disciplinary area.

Fifty people attended the forum.

A representative from each of the four cross-disciplinary programs made a five-minute presentation. They each discussed what their programs involved and where they were headed.

Valerie Grim, interim chairwoman of the African-American Studies Program, said she wants to connect the people of African-American heritage. She wants to “provide a context for understanding” in hopes of stopping people from judging one another.

The different cultures have something in common because they all want “more activity and growth,” said Smokey McKinney, a representative from the American Indian Studies Program.

McKinney said the program has had slow growth with only 50 American-Indian students on campus.

Linda Galyon, chairwoman of the Women’s Studies Program, said her program wants to build a community. An undergraduate major in Women’s Studies was first offered in 1995.

Four classes are now offered in Latino Studies, but for a “well-rounded program we need coverage in Latino history,” said Hector Avalos, chairman of the Latino Studies Program.

Hoffman said she cannot develop a new program because of her position as dean, so a faculty member or student has to approach her with ideas.

The forum was sponsored by the ISU Diversity Steering Committee, the Office of the President and the Committee on Lectures.