Two student leaders unsure of athletic contributions

Luke Dekoster

In 1994, four Iowa State teams faced the blade of the budget ax.

Three years and $375,000 in student fees later, the endangered sports survive. But some student leaders are now questioning whether the athletic department really needs another $125,000 in planned student contributions.

The University Special Fees Committee, made up of Government of the Student Body and administration representatives, is reconsidering how to spend the last $125,000 of a $500,000 student fee increase passed in 1995.

The committee instituted a $10-per-student increase to save the nonrevenue sports of women’s gymnastics, men’s swimming, men’s golf and baseball.

Initially, $5 increases were scheduled for both the 1995-96 and 1996-97 school years to cover the $10 increase. This year’s increase was cut to $2.50 because it could not legally exceed the 3.9 percent tuition hike.

Laurie Gustafson, an accountant for the athletic department, said the 1995 increase was the first increase in athletic contributions since 1979. Each student currently contributes $17.25 in student fee money to the athletic department.

If the athletic department’s cut of student fee money had grown at a constant rate, adjusted for inflation, as other fees such as tuition have grown, it would be $29.25, Gustafson said.

But after the projections for the current agreement were passed in 1994, the athletic department received $4.1 million in unexpected income attributed to the success of the men’s basketball team, Troy Davis’ career and the increased bowl revenues as a result of the Big 12 Conference.

Government of the Student Body President Adam Gold and Graduate Student Senate President Kevin Ragland voiced opposition at a committee meeting Tuesday morning to the university’s allocation of the final $125,000. They said though athletic department officials have talked about saving money by dropping nonrevenue sports, they have also added considerable amounts to other portions of the budget.

“Why can’t the money from deficit repayment and the reserve go toward sports?” Ragland asked, referring to the money allotted to settle existing debts and to enlarge a reserve fund.

Ragland suggested several ways the $125,000 increase in student fees could be better spent. He said while sporting events entertain students, alumni and the general public, “Cy-Ride and Recreation Services serve students 100 percent.”

Gold agreed. “We need to focus on making sure that things that students need and use directly get funded to the absolute maximum,” Gold said.

Vice President for External Affairs Murray Blackwelder said the athletic department has used the student fee money to fund the natural grass turf project in Trice Stadium, skyboxes and bathroom renovations in the stadium, along with the construction of the Jacobson Athletic Building and an addition to Hilton Coliseum.

Vice President for Business and Finance Warren Madden also defended the athletic department.

“There is a justification to continue this support,” Madden said. He said the athletic department has made a “good-faith effort to try and make this plan work.”

The student fees have “kept us on stable financial ground as expenses go up,” said Trip Hedrick, men’s swimming coach. “They have enabled us to survive.”

Baseball Coach Lyle Smith said the increased fees have allowed his team to play more away games early in the season, giving his players much-needed experience. “We were faced with a very limited travel budget,” he said

Gustafson said if the remaining funds were cut or reallocated, the athletic department would again be forced to consider dropping nonrevenue sports.

“I will not let those sports get cut,” Gold said.

He said he would also insist that the Cy-Ride Orange Route service to the Iowa State Center remain free and that Recreation Services is adequately funded.

Administrators at the meeting hinted this new opposition could produce many long hours of meetings.

But Ragland reiterated his willingness to fight for a fair deal. “As long as we’re dealing with student interests, I’ll sit in here for six hours every day.”

The University Special Fees Committee will meet again next week to discuss a new proposal introduced Tuesday by the students. The proposal suggests a $1.25 fee increase for each of the 1996-97 and 1997-98 school years, which will fulfill the remainder of the original contract with the athletic department.