Food service: more than you ever knew

Leana Benson

Food service.

Low on funds? Can’t pay your bar tab? Are the parentals sick and tired of paying your way? I have the solution to these problems and it is so simple … get a job! It may be a crazy idea, but it might just work for you.

I have the perfect place for Iowa State students to work. Food service. No, I’m serious, it’s a great job and it is a fabulous opportunity for college students.

Food service is the most underrated job on campus. Most kids don’t realize the hi-jinx and craziness that ensue behind the scenes at their favorite campus eating establishment.

I know my first semester here I thought, “Gosh, it would stink to have to work in food service.” The thought of having to “serve” fellow students did not appeal to me at all.

But as the second semester rolled around, I realized I couldn’t live off my good looks alone (or the pay at the Daily, which couldn’t buy me an extra value meal). I decided to pound the pavement for a job to support the lifestyle to which I had grown accustomed.

I applied at a lot of places but no one offered me enough hours or good enough pay, especially if I had to take the bus across town in the middle of winter. I needed something close to home and with guaranteed hours. Food service turned out to be the route to go.

If you live in the residence halls, food service can pay for part of your room and board fee, or you can get paid cash like many off-campus students do.

The pay isn’t huge, but considering they could pay us minimum wage, it’s not too shabby.

The managers schedule around your classes and are very flexible. If you can’t work your shift you can sign up to have someone else work for you, and if you need extra cash there is always someone looking for time off. You can work 12-, 15- or 17- hour weeks so it won’t eat up too much of your precious time.

The best part about working in food service is the people. I can only speak for the residence hall I work in when I say the people are fantastic.

Everyone is positive and easy to work with. The atmosphere is always cheery and the full-time employees are always willing to help the students out. Even after I set the toaster on fire, no one got mad at me and we all got a good chuckle afterwards … long afterwards.

Many of the people I met my first semester, I met through work. And now that I’m out of the residence halls I can still keep in touch with them. The students are usually cool, and we can do our job and still joke around. You can also find the inside scoop about parties — always an added bonus.

Before I started working in food service I had no idea how to peel a potato, and now I can slice and dice as well as Julia Child. I can also make 20 gallons of shrimp sauce and Jell-o for 200. I’ve also become well-known for my ability to butter (and burn) toast.

The jobs are easy and not at all strenuous. I actually look forward to working in the dish room most nights. The longest shift I have is three hours, so it’s not a large chunk out of my day. If you get to work with people you know and like, the time speeds by.

Many college students have to work during the school year and some get stuck in crappy jobs that force them to work crazy hours for horrible pay.

Food service is the best way to go if you are thrust into the work force; it is a great way to meet people and a fun way to (legally) get paid.

It may be too late to start this semester, but think ahead for the fall and then you can thank me. If you say Leana sent you, I may even get a bonus.

Leana Benson is a junior in journalism and mass communication from Madrid.