‘One Night Stand’ on for hump day

Tracy Griffin

If you’re looking for a chance to have a one night stand without feeling like a jerk, ISU’s own STV-9 has the answer.

“One Night Stand” is a game show on the campus channel produced by six students in Journalism and Mass Communication 354 (Electronic Media Productions).

“One requirement for the class is to do four productions [of a television show] . . . and then they put it on STV-9,” said Julie Hand, a senior in journalism and mass communication with an emphasis in electronic media studies. Hand is a co-producer and host of the show.

The show begins with a female contestant asking three males different questions. She then picks one with whom to share a dinner out.

In the second part of the show, a male contestant gets his chance to ask three females questions before he picks one to join for a night out.

Dinner is then provided by one of the show’s sponsors — Applebee’s, Pizza Kitchens, Okoboji Bar and Grill or Wallaby’s.

“It’s up to them [the winning couple] if they want to go out again,” Hand said.

Eric Heiker, a senior in environmental engineering, was one of the three male bachelors on a previous show. “It was tons of fun. . . everyone’s been saying ‘Hey, I saw you on TV,'” he said.

Heiker added that the questions asked were “kind of cheesy.” One such question asked the contestants to pick a kind of candy bar that best fit them.

“I said Hershey’s Symphony because I’m smooth as silk,” Heiker said.

Heiker said he would do the show again, but he’d rather be the guy who asked the questions because “they have more power.”

Although Journalism 354 is not currently a requirement for electronic media emphasis students, Mike Seaberg, a co-producer of the show, said the class is “worthwhile, especially in my major.”

“It’s a fun class because we get to learn all of the production steps in creating a show,” Seaberg said.

He said some of the things his team has had to work on are finding contestants, shooting footage for the opening sequence and writing questions for the contestants.

“It’s run pretty smoothly,” Seaberg said. “Difficult things come up in a studio, but we’ve worked them out.”

Hand and Seaberg said that STV-9 is interested in having them produce more shows of “One Night Stand” after the class assignment is completed.

“At the next STV-9 meeting we’re going to find out who’s interested in helping us and start forming a crew,” Seaberg said.

According to B.J. Bomar, general manager of STV-9, there has been a large response to the show. “We would like to see more programs of that nature produced over here,” Bomar said. “We’re looking for more student-produced shows.”

If the producers of “One Night Stand” decide to continue the show, it will be “all volunteer,” Bomar said.

“If we go on we might make some modifications to make it a little more unique,” said Wade Burmeister, a co-producer.

The shows produced by the journalism class are aired in hour blocks on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. “One Night Stand” can be seen at one of these times throughout the week.

“We want a bigger audience to be there,” Hand said. “We want people to call us if they want to be on it.”

People who are interested in being a contestant on “One Night Stand” should call Brandon Belisle at 294-9224.

The third production of the show will be taped tonight at the Communications Building in the WOI studio at 6:30 p.m.

People interested in being in the audience ought to come to the studio by 6:15 p.m. and use the east entrance.