Runge to retire at end of this month

Laura Baitinger

The Business/Liberal Arts and Sciences career services office will honor its long-time office manager today.

Betty Runge, office manager in Business/LAS Career Services, plans to begin her retirement at the end of this month. A reception in her honor will be held today from 11:50 a.m. to 2 p.m. with a program at 12:45 p.m.

Runge began her career at ISU during the 1950s, but took time off to raise her children. She returned in 1971 and has worked with the department since.

“I have enjoyed working with the students and employers,” Runge said. “No two days are the same.”

Laurie Karns, assistant director for Business and LAS Career Services, said she enjoyed listening to the stories from Runge’s 25 years of experience.

Runge said there are many stories she remembers from students. One young man she met through the office gave guitar lessons to her children. He is now a chief executive officer for a company in Des Moines.

Runge said it is always fun when students come back to the office and bring along photos of their children.

“It is nice to see how well they do,” she said.

In 1979 the first Business/LAS Career Day was held in the halls of Carver. Runge has helped the career day grow to be very successful, Karns said.

She said Runge remembered birthdays and took care of cards and gifts for special occasions. She is really interested in people’s lives and readily open to share her life with others, Karns said.

In her retirement, Runge said she will miss the interaction with students and employers. She looks forward to pursuing her hobbies of gardening and reading.

“It’ll be an interesting transition to make,” Runge said.

Her plans include staying in Ames for the time being. Her husband is partially retired from his position with the College of Veterinary Medicine. She said they hope to travel and visit their son in Florida.