DPS alcohol, drug arrests jump sharply over last year

Tara Deering

Either it’s getting tougher to drink around campus without getting caught or students are drinking more.

The number of arrests reported by DPS last year for liquor-law violation increased from 70 in 1995 to 226 in 1996. Arrests for operating a vehicle while-intoxicated are up from 40 in 1995 to 143 in 1996. Intoxication arrests are up from 64 in 1995 to 156 in 1996.

The number of drug-related arrests also jumped sharply, from 22 in 1995 to 84 last year.

Loras Jaeger, DPS director, said the number of alcohol offenses is simply on the rise. He said one main cause is that Iowa State hosts more large social events than other universities, such as Veishea and concerts at the Iowa State Center.

As alcohol-related arrests increase, officials say they hope the crime rates in other areas will come down. “People who are under the influence of alcohol are the ones who are more likely to vandalize cars and do stupid things to get them into trouble,” Jaeger said.

Another reason for the increase in alcohol-related offenses is that DPS is stepping up patrol on alcohol abuse.

“We have a real concern about binge drinking and the effects it has on people,” Jaeger said.

Charles Cychosz, an ISU program coordinator, said he is still concerned that certain “kinds” of drinking have increased.

Cychosz is involved with coordinating educational programs, counseling, staff and student presentations, individual confrontations and individual screening dealing with alcohol abuse.

“We lose students every year due to alcohol problems, and I think the number described shows that DPS is dealing with the problem,” Cychosz said. “In the long run, the DPS’s stepped-up patrol will be good for all of us.”

Several students say they’ve noticed a DPS crack-down in all areas.

Kelly Posey, a sophomore in industrial technology, was pulled over and ticketed by DPS a month ago for stopping twice at a stop sign.

“I think DPS is cracking down on everything,” Posey said. “DPS’ stepped-up patrol is a good thing because if you’re not guilty then you don’t have anything to worry about, and they’ll let you go.”

But not everyone is happy.

Javier Seymore, a freshman in business, said DPS needs to worry about the bigger crimes on campus like the sale of drugs.

“They have their priorities wrong,” he said. “Everybody’s grown and they’re going to do what they want to do no matter what the law says.”

Year-End DPS Report

Arrests 1996 1995

Drug Violations 84 22

Liquor Violations 226 70

OWIs 143 40

Intoxications 156 64