Answers to major questions

Gretchen Cleland

The big questions are: What major should I choose? What career do I want? What do I want to do with my life?

So many decisions, so little information, but Iowa State has something that might help.

Iowa State will offer three Academic Expos, “Choosing a Career is a MAJOR Decision” in the residence halls this spring.

Jane Jacobsen, liberal arts and sciences academic adviser, said the expos will focus mainly on freshmen who don’t have majors or who are thinking of changing majors. However, she said all students are welcome at the expos.

“These students are at a point where they need to be making some choices, and we hope the expos help them along,” Jacobsen said.

The expos, sponsored by the provost’s office and the Department of Residence, are designed to provide information about majors at Iowa State at one specific site.

Iowa State’s undergraduate colleges will participate in the expos, as will Student Counseling Service’s career exploration program and the study abroad program.

“We thought that if we put representatives from each major all in one room, it would be easier for students to get information,” Jacobsen said.

Jacobsen said by including Student Counseling Service’s career exploration program, the expos hope to get the attention of students wanting to choose a major based on their chances of getting a job after graduation.

“A lot of students want to know their career options before choosing a major,” she said.

The expos will be structured like open houses and will be very informal, Jacobsen said.

All students are encouraged to attend and as a special incentive, those in attendance will receive a coupon for a free schedule of classes for fall 1997.

The Academic Expos will be held from 5 to 6:30 p.m. on the following dates:

* Monday, March 24, West Friley Dining Hall (Union Drive Association).

* Monday, March 31, Maple-Willow-Larch Commons (Richardson Court Association).

* Wednesday, April 2, Wallace-Wilson Commons (Towers Residence Association).