Getting an early start

Denise Smith

The Freshman Council boasts it is the only organization on campus specifically aimed at meeting first-year students’ needs.

“We just go over different ways we can get freshmen involved on campus and how we can improve the atmosphere for freshmen instead of being known as the minority,” said Heather Jacobsen, a member of the education subcommittee.

Mandy Strotman, leader of the philanthropy subcommittee, said the purpose of the Freshman Council is to help first-year students with their needs and plan interesting activities for them.

“Even though the Freshman Council is new and still being developed, I thought that it would be challenging and fun,” she said.

One of the activities the council is planning is the Mash Bash, which will be held on April 26 with The Nadas playing at State Gym.

The Freshman Council also plans to supply incoming freshmen with information during summer orientation.

Jacobsen said, “Many freshmen come in confused and scared [of] Iowa State University. We want to make sure that they know the places on campus where they can go for information.”

Now there are 40 subcommittee members and 14 executive members that meet every other Sunday at 8:30 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. The subcommittees include education, philanthropy, publicity, social and multicultural. The executive members include a president, vice president, secretary, treasurer and two chairs from each subcommittee.

The subcommittee members joined the council this spring and their term will last until the end of Fall 1997. Strotman said, “We don’t have people apply until the spring. That gives us the whole fall to get the information out to the new freshmen.”

Before the members could join the Freshman Council, they filled out an application on what leadership roles they had in high school and while at ISU. The applicants then requested a subcommittee to participate in and were interviewed by one of the chairs of the subcommittees.

Strotman said, “When you have an interview you don’t always get placed in the position you have requested. We put you where we see you are needed.”

So far the Freshman Council has put together its first newsletter, “Fresh Voices,” which was sent to all freshmen. It included information about upcoming events at ISU and also listed places where students can do volunteer work around Ames.

Another open forum will take place on April 6 at 8:30 p.m. in the Memorial Union that will cover judiciary consequences of university violations, said Ben Golding, council president. Council members encourage all freshmen to attend.