SAA: More than just rugbys

Kristin Kernen

Although some may think the Student Alumni Association is only about giving tours to prospective high school students, its members say there is more to the organization.

Julie Larson, director of student and career programs for the Alumni Association, said the purpose of the organization is to provide leadership opportunities and encourage student involvement in all aspects of the university and community.

About 130 students are involved with the association.

There are many benefits to being involved with SAA, Andy Krzmarzick, the current president, said. “The greatest thing for me has been the friendships I’ve made,” he said. “I’m really excited about the top-notch leaders I interact with.”

The SAA is made up of 10 committees. Some of these are: career services, student recruitment, homecoming, senior class council, student foundation, parent and family weekend, events and alumni relations, and marketing and student membership.

Each separate committee is run by one student, and along with the SAA officers, they make up the Executive Committee.

Students are selected through an interview process, with the exception of the Senior Class Council president and vice president, who are elected.

SAA also gives students the opportunity to meet alumni at various events. The contacts made for future internships and jobs are another plus, Krzmarzick said.

Maintaining relations with alumni is a big part of the organization’s responsibilities. President-elect Chad Mitchell, said, “It’s so much networking between old and young Iowa Staters.”

Involvement among all members is high, he said. “It doesn’t give you the opportunity to sit back and do nothing.”

During the Big 12 Basketball Tournament in Kansas City this month, SAA held events at Kemper Arena for alumni attending the tournament, he said. Members also gave presentations on Iowa State at their high schools during the holiday break.

SAA is in charge of several university events as well. One SAA committee is in charge of Homecoming festivities, while another plans Parent and Family Weekend. SAA ran Little Siblings Weekend as well.

“I think we do some important things for the university,” Krzmarzick said.

SAA helps organize special events like the tree lighting ceremony before Christmas and other events with alumni, Larsen said. SAA is important in providing school spirit, she said, through activities at Homecoming and Parent and Family Weekend.

Though SAA is funded through sponsorship and by the Alumni Association, it helps to raise funds for the senior class gift, which is selected each year by the Senior Class Council.

Mitchell said the goal right now is to fight the stereotype that SAA is composed entirely of whites from the greek system.

“There are large opportunities for minorities to be involved, not only with ISU, but with other people as well,” he said.

He would like to see SAA membership match the demographics of the university for minority members.

Applications for the Student Alumni Association are now available and are due March 26. Krzmarzick encourages all to apply. “It’s good interview experience,” he said.