Tempest returns after two-year hiatus

Brian Klein

Two years later, the dream is still alive.

Tempest, a privately funded magazine, has started to publish again after a forced stop in February of 1995 due to a lack of funds.

Martin Teply, an Iowa State graduate student in English, has gathered enough funds to bring back the creative writing magazine.

Teply, the editor of the magazine, has three issues planned for release, with a fourth one in the making.

Two years ago, Tempest ran four issues and was working on the fifth when funds for the magazine ran out.

Teply said he hopes to reach 1 percent of the ISU student body and eventually 1 percent of the Ames community.

He then hopes to survey the readers to find out if Tempest is well- liked and to determine which direction the magazine’s contents should follow.

“I want to see what kind of audience is out there, what they want to write and what they want to read,” Teply said.

“[Right now] there is no limit to the styles of writing accepted,” he said, but he does hope to create common themes for every monthly issue in the future.

But right now, Teply accepts every kind of style including fiction, non-fiction, poetry and essays, and has no particular limitation on the content of the material.

Tempest also contains a few monthly features, including the “Rainmaker.”

The “Rainmaker” is a biography and picture of one of the featured writers for the month.

Teply takes one of the writers out to a dinner to ask him or her questions and find out a little about the writer’s background.

He uses the information to write a short article about interesting characteristics of the writer.

The magazine also features a monthly serial story.

“[The serial] is a two-page installment featured every month by the same author,” Teply said.

He said these pieces are a part of the story that builds and continues from the previous month’s issue.

Teply said Tempest is offered as an opportunity for the people who do not like going to open microphones and still want their stories to be heard.

People interested in writing for Tempest can bring their materials to a drop box found in the Browsing Library located in the Memorial Union.

Teply said the drop box was historically located in Ross Hall, but he said he wanted people all over the campus to be involved.

Since Tempest is not funded by the Government of the Student Body, it is not limited to just ISU students, but to the entire Ames community.

Teply said he tries to get everything published that is submitted.

“Everything will eventually make it to print,” he said. “I just may have to put the article submitted in a later issue.”

Teply said the stories should be 4,000 words or less and said the writer is basically the last editor.

Starting next month, copies of Tempest will be distributed at the following locations on campus: by the Maintenance Shop in the Union, the south entrance of the Microbiology Building, the east entrance of the Design Building, the south entrance of Parks Library and the northeast entrance of Ross Hall. It is also available off-campus at Train of Thought, located on 305 Kellogg Ave.