Olson named All-American

Ryan Harvey

After helping the Iowa State women’s basketball team to one of their most successful seasons ever, junior forward Jayme Olson has recently garnered a couple of individual All-American honors in the post-season.

After being named as a first-team GTE Academic All-America honor last week, the junior was named to the five-player 1997 Kodak District V Women’s Basketball All-America Team on Tuesday March 25.

Among the credentials Olson brings to the All-American team includes leading the Iowa State squad in scoring in each of her three seasons. She maintained a scoring average of 17.1 points per game over the past season.

Olson averaged 16.6 during her sophomore season and 13.5 during her freshman year. Olson also received first-team all-Big 12 Conference honors after the season.

Senior guard and co-captain Tara Gunderson said the award was very deserving for the Cyclone.

“I think it is a tremendous accomplishment for Jayme,” she said. “It is exciting because Jayme has another year left.”

“She is very deserving,” Gunderson said.

Olson is just the second Cyclone player ever to be named to the district Kodak team. In 1987, Stephannie Smith was also a district selection.

Being named an All-American is nothing new for Olson.

While in high school, she was named to several All-American teams such as a preseason Street & Smith’s High School honorable mention pick.

She was also named among the top girls basketball players in Iowa by USA Today as well as being named the Gatorade and USA Today Iowa Player of the Year as a senior.

In fact, Olson has also been apart of a Kodak All-American team, when she was voted a Kodak High School Honorable Mention.

Olson was voted onto the team by members of the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association.

With the nomination, Olson will be placed on a national ballot with the opportunity to be named to the national team.