Ahoy chosen to oversee campus facilities operations

Jennifer Young

A new associate vice president for facilities planning and management at Iowa State has been named.

Christopher Ahoy, assistant vice president for business and finance and director of facilities planning and management for the University of Nebraska, was named to the position yesterday.

Warren Madden, vice president for business and finance, recommended Ahoy for the position.

“I think he will bring a dimension to Iowa State that will be very helpful,” Madden said. “I am very pleased he took the appointment when it was offered to him.”

Ahoy will oversee the facilities operations of the campus, Madden said. Those include design services, building and grounds maintenance, utilities, campus mail, classroom scheduling, the ISU flight service and operation of Veenker Memorial Golf Course.

The search committee for the position screened 170 applicants and narrowed the search to four. Those four people were then invited to the ISU campus.

“Ahoy emerged as being the most qualified for the position,” he said. “We feel good about him.”

Ahoy has experience at several other institutions. He’s been in his current position at the University of Nebraska since 1994. Previously he was president and chief executive officer of Comprehensive Facilities Management, a consulting firm in Berkeley, Calif., from 1987 to 1994.

From 1981 to 1987, Ahoy was statewide director of facilities planning and construction for the University of Alaska.

He spent seven years in facilities management at the University of California, Berkeley, as an assistant director, campus architect and a senior manager for technical services.

“His background is very strong in planning and architectural design,” Madden said. “I think right now at Iowa State it’s an important activity.”

Madden said he thinks Ahoy will communicate well on campus.

“He seems to be energetic and looking forward to coming to Iowa State,” Madden said.

Ahoy will begin his position on March 1. He replaces William Whitman, who retired from the university on Dec. 31.