Thielen to be keynote speaker

Amanda Knief

Thomas Thielen, Iowa State vice president emeritus for student affairs, will be the keynote speaker at the 1997 Student Affairs Institute, March 2-4, at Iowa State.

“It is particularly fitting for Dr. Thielen to speak because he created the institute and this is our chance to honor him,” said Chuck Cychosz, program coordinator and intern assistant to the vice president for student affairs.

This year’s conference theme is “Leadership Development in Higher Education.”

Thielen will speak after a dinner Monday, March 3, in the Memorial Union. His speech will focus on leadership development and reflect on his 20-year career in student affairs.

This is Thielen’s second time speaking at the conference.

“Usually we hold it in the summer, but for a variety of reasons, including having Dr. Thielen speak, it is much earlier in the year,” Cychosz said.

This annual event is for any Iowa State faculty or staff member who works with students, and it is also open to professionals from other Midwestern schools.

The conference is a professional development opportunity and will focus on contemporary topics.

“The institute brings in nationally known speakers to examine issues in detail,” Cychosz said.

The president of the state Board of Regents, Owen Newlin, will also present a program during the conference.

“It is a wonderful opportunity to have Mr. Newlin here, and a special event for the conference,” Cychosz said.

Other presenters attending the conference include Don Adams, executive assistant to the president of Drake University; Joan Claar, vice president and dean of students at Cornell College, Mount Vernon; Dave Ambler, vice chancellor of student affairs for the University of Kansas; Margaret Healy, vice president for student affairs, Mankato State University in Minnesota; James Moore, dean of students, Marquette University; Larry Dietz, associate vice chancellor of student affairs, University of Missouri.

Late registrations are still being accepted. The fee is $150, and anyone interested in attending should contact the Vice President of Student Affairs Office at 294-4420.