A true role model

Shuva Rahim

Editor’s note: This is the second profile of a noted African American with Iowa State connections. The Daily is running four profiles, on Mondays, in light of February’s Black History Month activities.

Isaiah “Ike” Harris, Jr. is not just another student-athlete who graduated from Iowa State.

At 44, Harris has busy days filled with meetings and phone calls in his Minneapolis office where he is in the process of resigning as vice president at the corporate headquarters for Super Valu, a supermarket chain. He recently accepted a position as the vice president and chief financial officer of Bell South Telecommunications in Atlanta.

ISU and pro football

When former Iowa State Head Football Coach Johnny Majors recruited Harris, he likely didn’t know Harris would play a key role in one of the university’s most successful seasons.

Harris was part of the 1971 team that played in the Sun Bowl against Louisiana State. During his three years as a wide receiver at ISU, he caught 76 passes for more than 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Harris’ accomplishments stacked up off the field as well.

In 1973, he was named ISU’s Black Student-Athlete of the Year and he was the recipient of the ISU Aulmann Memorial Scholarship Award, given to the athlete who also excelled in the classroom. Harris said that was his most memorable moment as a student.

After graduating in 1974, Harris took his talents to the professional arena where he played for eight years. He started with the California Sun of the now defunct World Football League. Harris then went on to play for three seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals and four with the New Orleans Saints.

Harris: CPA and honoree

“My mother always preached education. She believed it to be a source of power in a capitalistic society,” Harris said. “It’s something that can’t be taken from you. Your athletic skills can be taken from you due to injury.”

Harris said he found his niche in life after he interned at Peat, Marwick, Mitchell and Co., a national certified public accounting firm in Des Moines. He later joined the firm as its senior audit manager, but was given a leave of absence during the training and regular seasons when he was with the Cardinals.

After breaking away from the professional league, Harris continued working for the firm, and stacking up his share of awards and service activities.

In 1991, Harris was named Cy’s Favorite Alum, one of the athletic department’s highest honors.

He also was involved with Junior Achievement, the Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports and Athletes Fighting Substance Abuse.

Another activity was INVITE, an inner-city youth program to help keep kids off the streets.

“I think it’s important to give something back,” Harris said. “Many of the things I’ve been involved in have an at-risk flavor or educational flavor.”

Harris today

After a successful college life and a prosperous professional career, Harris said he is satisfied with his achievements, and he still keeps a close eye on his alma mater.

He said he doesn’t miss playing football, but he still closely follows the Cyclones.

He has followed basketball more in recent years because his son, Solomon, now a graduate student in business administration, played for Iowa State from 1993-96.

Solomon Harris said his dad has always been his hero. “He’s had a very strong, positive influence. Him and my mom are responsible for leading me on the path I chose. To me, he’s been extremely successful in everything he’s done.”

Now, Harris said, he takes pride in his son’s achievements.

“My most memorable thing at Iowa State was seeing my son in an Iowa State basketball uniform,” Harris said. “That is more memorable than anything I’ve ever achieved.”

— Some information for this article was provided by the Alumni Association.