Condoms as commodities

Many high school students choose to have sex. This is a given.

Though there is major concern from many about whether these students should or shouldn’t, whether or not one is safe in the act is being addressed by a student council in Des Moines.

Its proposal, which includes the installation of condom machines in schools, seems like a logical approach to dealing with pubescent sexual activity. However, there needs to be another solution.

Des Moines school officials are wary of installing such machines and are currently declining such a proposal, which they should.

Condoms, such as other items that may be purchased at a drug store, are a commodity. While one wouldn’t sell shaving cream or shampoo at a school, one should also be adverse to the sale of condoms as well.

The cost of health among teenagers should not lie with a machine hung on a bathroom wall.

Those dealing in health situations on a regular basis should be in control of condom distribution.

School nurses, Planned Parenthood and parents should recognize that these sexual activities are occurring, and deal with them accordingly.

If a condom is distributed in a school, it should be free to the person who obtains it.

While these students may choose to have sex, the first stop a student makes to receive a condom needs to be with someone who can talk to them about the dangers of having both protected and unprotected sex.

Anything beyond that is counter productive and may lead to problems in the future.

High school students will have sex, and condoms are a necessary accessory.

However, condoms should include verbal instructions from a known professional, or a little counselling.