There for those in need of jobs

Abby Zirkle

Companies from around the world are coming to see what Iowa State students have to offer.

The annual Summer Job Fair is being held today in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Beverly Madden, director of ISU Career Services, said the fair is a chance for students to meet possible employers.

“The chances of landing a job at the Job Fair are excellent since each employer needs to hire between 10 and 400 employees for the summer,” she said.

Companies are looking for majors from accounting and agriculture to journalism and engineering. “This is an event for everyone across campus and for all students,” Madden said.

There will be opportunities in camps, resorts, non-profit organizations, government agencies and others.

Some of the employers who will have booths at the job fair are Camp Tanager, Living History Farms, McFarland Clinic, Progress Industries, Soil and Water Conservation Society, Camp Easter Seal and Boys Town USA.

Some of the employers coming will have internship positions to fill as well, Madden said.

For many of the summer jobs that take students to other states, housing opportunities are also available.

“Sometimes the students will be put up by an older couple in their home where their children are already gone. Usually they will rent out one of their rooms for a cheaper place for students to live in the summer,” Madden said.

Madden said she expects to see between 1,000 to 1,500 students attend the fair. Students from schools that are too small to put on an event like a job fair will also attend.

“An experience like this always looks good on a resume, especially the transferable skills one gets when working a summer job,” she said.