These trashy outfits are in fashion

Melanie Dunn

Some Iowa State textiles and clothing students have given new meaning to the term recycling.

Take Katie Malecki for example. She’s a senior in textiles and clothing and has made an entire ensemble out of junk food wrappers.

Another senior, Adrienne Hart, collected more than 3,000 chewing gum wrappers to weave together a mini skirt and top outfit.

Talk about a recycling effort.

These unusual designs will be featured in “Showcase ’97,” a student-run fashion exhibition on Thursday, Feb. 13, from 3-5 p.m. in LeBaron Lounge, Room 1009 LeBaron.

The designs are class projects for an experimental design class offered in the textile and clothing department.

Jane Farrell-Beck, textiles and clothing professor, said “Showcase ’97” is an exhibit, not a fashion show. She said a fashion show is strictly apparel, and it is presented on a runway.

“Not only will ‘Showcase ’97’ feature student-designed apparel, but also portfolios, posters and fashion illustrations as well.”

Farrell-Beck said “Showcase ’97” is only the second of its kind in ISU history.

Mary Littrell, professor of textiles and clothing and a faculty adviser for the event, said, “‘Showcase ’97’ presents a terrific opportunity to display the talent of our students. The show will enable these students to gain valuable experience in every stage of the fashion design process — some creation to presentation.”

“Showcase ’97” is free and open to the public. Following the show, audience members will have a chance to vote for a favorite entry.