An open letter to Jischke, student body

Myke Selha

I am an lowa State University alumnus. I graduated in 1993 but have lived in Ames since that time. I maintain a close connection with the ISU community through friendships with several faculty, staff and students. What I am witnessing in recent months has caused me great concern.

There is a distrust of the administration on campus. From what I have witnessed, there is much reason for this wariness.

As a student, I was active in several groups working to improve campus climate for marginalized persons. These groups ranged from Men Against Rape and Sexism (MARS) to Womens Week Planning Committee to the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Ally Alliance to a number of coalitions.

There was never a problem getting people to stand up for what they believe. Students, faculty, staff and community members were not afraid to put their names to letters, petitions, etc. This has changed.

Several events have occurred on campus in the last year which have increased the amount of fear by marginalized groups on campus. Most notably are the treatment of The September 29 Movement and the sudden departure of faculty and staff who have spoken out against the administration.

I have talked to students who refuse to sign letters, petitions or other material being sent to the administrations. Their reasoning is they may be labeled as troublemakers by those in power and would then be targeted much as the “organizers” of the November Town Meeting.

This fear of the higher-ups is also present among non-tenure faculty as well as staff. It seems more than coincidental that a number of the more outspoken educators have suddenly taken jobs elsewhere.

What I would like from you, Dr. Jischke, is a statement on your willingness to listen to students. Then back it up with action. Take a proactive stance on retention of students as well as staff. A simple task force will not take care of it. We have had plenty of task forces on this campus.

You have generally ignored the requests of your own task forces for retention.

It is time for you to decide who you are working for. Is it the students who are paying for your salary?

Myke Selha

ISU Alumnus