Learning comes first

Recently, a discussion of effective teaching at the university has appeared in Daily columns and letters to the editor.

Students at the university level pay a sizable amount of money for tuition, and for the most part, get a good education for their dollar. But each of us has had at least one teacher whose methods are questionable, mundane and even egotistical.

Perhaps one of the largest student-teacher controversy is grading. One of these grading systems came to light in a Daily column.

An English 105 teacher’s syllabus told students that he would give a student a ‘C’ if the student’s paper had nothing wrong with it. Only if the paper “dazzles” the teacher will he return the paper with a higher grade. The syllabus also pointed out that ‘A’ and ‘B’ papers aren’t common. What is most disturbing is that students with ‘C’ papers are told not to question their grade.

This is only one example. Many students, including us, have cited similar cases that have never been shown outside of the classroom.

Students come to Iowa State because the university prides itself on being an excellent learning environment. Students deserve excellent learning experiences, not ridiculous cast-into-stone rules.

A student should be graded on the effort he or she puts into the work and the product created. Instead of being victimized by a trivial and ridiculous grading system, students should be awarded for the work they put forth.

The current letter grading system may not be the best out there, and tactics to make students suffer more because of the system’s failings are uncalled for. Some teachers have said letter grading is trivial. Although it may be trivial, students should be rewarded for their work and not be punished by the system.

The university is supposed to create a learning environment where ideas flow freely. As far as we know, the world’s best works haven’t been limited to a certain length, topic or idea.

Besides, a field such as English should base itself on the generation of thoughts and ideas.

Students should be allowed to do the same.

Any student who experiences these type of teaching methods should have some sort of recourse.

They should go to the head of the department, the dean of the college or even higher. Teachers who act this way in the classroom should be reprimanded and held to the highest degree of scrutiny.

Even though it may have some downfalls, the current grading system is working for now. Punishing students for doing good work doesn’t make sense.

Educators and students should learn to find a solution together.