Fraternity ready for action after long wait

Jason Young

If patience is a virtue, the men of Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity must be virtuous.

Iowa State members of Alpha Sigma Phi have waited for their charter to reestablish their fraternity for 20 months. On Feb. 6, the Grand Council of Alpha Sigma Phi delivered the affirmative “yes” via a conference call.

“It’s been a long time coming,” said Greg Carenza, house president.

More than a year ago, a group of about 15 students banded together and expressed interest in forming an alcohol-free fraternity. They wanted a fraternity that was “unique,” Carenza said.

Alpha Sigma Phi was a full-fledged fraternity chapter at ISU until 1993, when its membership started to decline.

The house leaders at the time decided it would be in the best interest of the house to quit and “start fresh” at a later date, said Dave Critchlow, Alpha Sigma Phi alumnus and current chapter adviser.

In May 1995, Alpha Sigma Phi was established as a colony, the step before becoming a fraternity chapter. The colony had to demonstrate its capability of handling the responsibilities involved in being a fraternity and that it had the capacity reach its goals, Carenza said.

The group had to file a petition to the Alpha Sigma Phi Grand Council for its approval. The petition included a biography of all the colony members, a write-up of the colony, an overview of chapter meetings, the colonies’ constitution and its bylaws.

“We had to show that we were able to run a fraternity,” Carenza said.

The fraternity now has 38 members.

All events hosted by Alpha Sigma Phi are alcohol free. “The house is the first dry house on campus,” said rush chairman Ryan Mueller.

Members are hopeful for a new house sometime in the future, but they said they’re not counting on it soon.

Alsiphi, the Alpha Sigma Phi corporation board, owns property on the corner of Beach Avenue and Sunset Drive. This would be the location of the house.

The chapter has been regularly involved in the community. They have tutored students who are learning impaired and others with behavioral disorders at Ames Middle School.

On April 5 and 26, several Alpha Sigma Phi members will take part in the Boy Scouts affiliated program, Merit Badge University.

James McNab, a freshman in journalism and mass communication and a chapter member, said he is grateful for the charter.

“I’m optimistic about what lies ahead for Alpha Sigma Phi. We’re looking forward to establishing our name on campus,” McNab said.