What do you think about GSB campaign regulations?

Survey By Stephanie Murphy

Mark Neighbor

Junior

Agriculture business

“I think it’s kind of ridiculous. A person might still have a button on that they were wearing in class and then go to a bar. People should be able to campaign off campus because a lot of students live off campus. Just like in U.S. presidential candidate elections, you should be able to show who you want to vote for.”

Jean Lynott

Junior

Liberal arts and sciences

“I think since it’s a campus election, candidates should campaign on campus. But if someone gives you a button, you should be able to wear it wherever you want.”

Tejal Patel

Sophomore

Marketing

“I really don’t know. I don’t have a problem with students campaigning wherever, but I can understand GSB’s side of it. Maybe they are trying to be fair to all candidates and give equal opportunities to all of them. Maybe some candidates don’t have access or resources or money to go off campus or in other areas to campaign.”

Edie Wishman

Sophomore

History

“They should be able to wear buttons just like other state, U.S. and local elections. GSB provides experience for people who want to pursue careers in politics. Candidates have to go out and learn how to campaign. If they don’t learn how to campaign it’s going to make their career in politics more difficult.

… These rules are infringing on students’ rights to free speech. You should be able to wear whatever whenever you want.

I really don’t understand how ISU can have jurisdiction over the entire town of Ames. …”

Corrie Busch

Junior

Art and design

“I guess it’s okay since it’s a college election. Maybe they should hold a special session for students to vote and see who wants to change the campaign zone rules.

I haven’t followed it too much. It was a pretty short campaign and the college is spread out. I didn’t hear about any of the sessions that met until they were in the paper the next day.”

Jennifer Hoffman

Sophomore

Business

“I don’t think it’s right to limit where they can campaign. People shouldn’t have a problem with other people saying they support something. I wear buttons supporting cures for AIDS and breast cancer. It’s just like any other issue.”