Bridging the generation gap in farming

Laura Baitinger

David Hommel’s parents are coming to Iowa State this weekend to join him in a few special classes.

Hommel, a junior in agricultural studies, is one of 11 students participating with their families in a program designed for students who plan to return to their family farms after graduation.

Ag-Link is a transitional program designed to work with students and their families who will be returning to intergenerational farms.

It will address issues dealing with family farming, including communication, goal setting and business planning, said Lisa Breja, advising coordinator for the Department of Agricultural Education and Studies.

A benefit of the program includes providing the families an opportunity to evaluate their existing operations and to learn about available credit and transfer programs, Breja said.

Many family farms are successful, she said. However, sometimes there are problems when parents treat their children as labor rather than managers.

There also may be conflicts within families about ideas for the farms and the directions they should pursue.

“We’re hoping students realize how to work together with their parents,” Breja said. “By bringing the family together, they can start to address those issues.”

Participants are sent home with resource packets of publications on intergenerational farming.

Hommel plans to return to a third-generation farm.

The program will give him ideas about getting along with his family and participating with them. He sees one-on-one family assistance as a benefit to Ag-Link.

“I’m looking for a better idea of what it means to be a family farmer,” Hommel said. “Anything that can make the process easier will be helpful.”

This is the third year of the annual program. It takes part in two weekend sessions with programs on Friday and Saturday. The conclusions to this weekend’s sessions will be March 7-8.

The turnout this year is much lower than the 40-student limit. However, Breja said, the group will be a good size for interactions.

An estimated 16 percent of graduates from the College of Agriculture work in production agriculture upon graduation.

The program is sponsored by the ISU Beginning Farmer Center and the Department of Agricultural Education and Studies.