Fund established to help student with head injuries

Kris Fettkether

A fund has been established to help cover medical expenses for an Iowa State student who was involved in a car accident.

Rodney Gingerich, a sophomore in computer engineering from Wellman, sustained head injuries in a three-vehicle accident on Jan. 24. Gingerich is listed in fair condition at Iowa Methodist Medical Center in Des Moines.

The support fund established at First National Bank will help Gingerich with expenses which will include about 18 months of rehabilitation, said Assistant Dean of Students Jeanine Bessette.

“He is coming out of a coma,” Bessette said. Bessette said Gingerich’s mother released a statement saying he has begun speech and physical therapy but has not talked yet. He is responding to yes/no questions with hand gestures, though and is in a “semi-conscious state.”

Dick Horton, Gingerich’s adviser, said he was interested in starting the support fund when he found out about the accident.

“I called the local bank to see if they were willing to help out,” he said. “There were folks in the residents halls interested in helping too. He’s in a tough spot.”

“He will have a lot of expenses,” Bessette said. “With 18 months of therapy, that will be a long haul.”

Horton said contributions to the fund can be made at all First National Bank offices in Ames. Checks to the fund are to be made out to: The Rodney Gingerich support fund.

Gingerich, a former resident assistant in Wallace Hall, was on his way to work in Des Moines, where he was an intern at Nortell, when he lost control of his 1980 Ford Tempo.

Edwin Augustine, 55, of Ames, who was driving a 1988 Oldsmobile, attempted to pass Gingerich when the two cars collided on Interstate 35, said Sgt. Shane Antle of the Iowa State Patrol.

Gingerich then collided with a Freightliner semi driven by Erica Tooks, 25, of Waldo, Ariz., Antle said. Antle said charges were pending but have yet to be filed in the case.