Volunteers enjoy tough travels of Peace Corps

Jonquil Wegmann

Recruiters promise “it’s the toughest job you’ll ever love.”

Iowa State students interested in joining the Peace Corps may soon have their chance to help others all over the world.

David Walker, recruiter for the ISU campus, said the program is very selective. However, he said students in fields such as engineering, urban and regional planning, architecture or agriculture are in high demand.

“Your chances of being accepted increase if you’re bilingual, if you’ve had three to four months of previous volunteer experience, or if you have studied abroad,” Walker said.

Regional Peace Corps recruiters will be visiting ISU on Feb. 11 and Feb. 12 to conduct interviews and will also have an informational booth in the Memorial Union.

There will be a Return Peace Corps Night on Feb. 11 at 7:30 p.m. in Ross 127. The event will feature a slide show and a panel of former Peace Corps volunteers to field questions.

The Peace Corps, created by President John F. Kennedy in 1961, offers countless opportunities to serve others, preserve the environment and gain international and cross-cultural experience, according to brochures.

Along with gaining experience and personal awards from helping people, the Peace Corps offers many benefits to students, according to the brochure.

There are opportunities for graduate school scholarships, assistantships and partial cancellation of certain student loans. While serving in the Corps, volunteers are given a living stipend, medical and dental care, and 24 vacation days per year. After 27 months of service, volunteers are given a $5,400 readjustment allowance and have easier access to federal employment opportunities.

There are 7,000 Peace Corps volunteers working in over 90 countries throughout the world. Now 42 ISU alumni are volunteering, placing ISU among the top 25 universities in the country for recruiting.

If students join the Peace Corps, it does not mean they have to delay their professional career. In fact, most volunteers are usually placed in their field. When they return from service, volunteers have an edge over other people because many employers value the resourcefulness, inner strength, and initiative that volunteers are known for, according to a Peace Corps brochure.

Walker said people considering service can contact him for more information at 294-9339 or in his office located in Room 5 Hamilton Hall.