Learning through diversity

Diversity, or the lack thereof, has been a hot issue at Iowa State this year.

Controversy boiled over last semester in several instances — including Catt Hall, the September 29th Movement, the Deantrious Mitchell affair, the Black Student Alliance and more. Racial awareness groups at Iowa State charged that the university’s claims of being a diverse community were unfounded. Instead, they said, the university has not fostered diversity, but created and amplified tensions among members of the Iowa State community.

Although the diversity issue may have amplified tensions at ISU, the September 29th movement is taking a step forward with a teach-in on diversity and political action.

At a university where students from around the world and from all walks of life come together in an advanced educational environment, diversity should be a given. Because awareness isn’t quite that easy to attain, the September 29th Movement will hold a teach-in next Tuesday.

The teach-in is an interesting and educational alternative to the usual activities of diversity awareness groups on campus. Because the teach-in reaches out to all students and staff, it provides an opportunity to learn in a nontraditional manner about issues important to this campus, as well to the nation and world. In a world filled with chaos and controversy, the teach-in is a vehicle for prevention of conflict.

Topics ranging from homosexuality, racism, sexism and information about the September 29th Movement and more will be presented.

Kel Munger, chair of the teach-ins, hopes the unofficial classes will foster diversity in classes and different groups on campus.

And with the dawn of a new year upon us, perhaps Iowa State should take up a New Year’s Resolution to alter the climate on campus.

After all, diversity and university should be synonymous.