ISU choir combines with world-renowned orchestra

Kris Fettkether

In a time when most modern bands are flash-in-the-pan, one-hit wonders, one thing remains for certain: The classics never go out of style.

The Ames International Orchestra Festival Association (AIOFA) will present the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by its music director, Kazimierz Kord, tonight at Stephens Auditorium.

Joining the orchestra will be a special festival chorus consisting of the Iowa State University Choir ensembles, the Ames Chamber Artists, the Des Moines Choral Society and auditioned members of the central Iowa choral community in a performance of Mozart’s “Requiem.”

Special dedication

“We made this a goal for some time,” said Robert Molison, a professor of music at Iowa State and conductor for the Des Moines Choral Society. “The ‘Requiem’ is a good one and it’s singable for college-aged voices.”

Molison, who has been conducting the rehearsal for the “Requiem,” said the opportunity to sing with Warsaw Philharmonic came about because of the efforts of former AIOFA President Tom Griswold.

“Tom’s aim was to have a chorus-orchestra combination,” Molison said. “[The Warsaw Philharmonic] said they would be willing to stay an extra day so we could do it.”

Sadly, though, Griswold died of cancer last month before he could see the fruits of his labor take stage. Tonight’s performance will be dedicated to him.

“Somehow,” Molison said, “I think he knows.”

Student spotlight

This is a once-in-a-lifetime moment for many Iowa State choir members who will share the spotlight with not only a world renowned orchestra, but also a masterful conductor.

The festival, which has been in the planning stages for over a year, began rehearsals with the students in November to prepare for the big night.

“It’s not an easy piece but it’s fun,” Christi Pearson, ISU choir member, said of Mozart’s “Requiem.”

“It’s such a big piece. The music is so large,” she said.

Pearson said the chance to work with an international orchestra and conductor has left many of the choir members sitting on pins and needles. “When we hear that first note of music,” she joked, “we’ll probably stand there with our mouths open.”

The Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra ranks among the finest ensembles in Europe and is recognized throughout the world. It performed its inaugural concert in 1901 in the newly completed Philharmonic Hall in Warsaw.

After 38 uninterrupted years, the outbreak of World War II brought a temporary halt to the activities of the Philharmonic.

Philharmonic Hall was bombed and partially burned in the first days of the war. By 1945 it had been completely destroyed and the orchestra had lost nearly half of its 80 musicians.

But in 1953 the Hall was rebuilt and the orchestra was named the National Philharmonic Orchestra of Poland.

Kord was named music director in 1977, and expanded the ensemble’s repertoire both vocally and instrumentally.

“I’m very pleased,” Molison said of the impending performance. “The music is of such a quality. The students instinctively understand this is a level worthy of their best effort.”

Vocal soloists for the “Requiem” are soprano Amy Wagar, an ISU graduate student who received a master’s degree in voice from the Julliard School in New York, alto Kristin Smiricky Ryerson, an ISU graduate who completed a master’s degree at De Paul University, tenor Donald Simonson, an ISU faculty member in voice and baritone James Tener, a vocal instructor in ISU’s music department.

The Festival Guild will sponsor an Overture Dinner with a Viennese Menu in the Scheman Building at 5:30 p.m. prior to the show with The Ames Children’s Choir directed by Dr. Sylvia Munson performing.

Curt Snook, music producer at WOI, will discuss the orchestra and music in the Celebrity Caf‚ of Stephens Auditorium immediately before the 7:30 p.m. concert.

Tickets are $14.50 for ISU students and are available at the Iowa State Center Box Office, located at Stephens and all Ticketmaster outlets. Call 233-1888 to charge by phone.