Renovations may be in store for residence halls

Josh Raulerson

The Department of Residence will begin an extensive evaluation early next month to determine which Iowa State residence halls need renovation.

Department of Residence Director Randy Alexander said the Washington, D.C. firm of Braillsford and Dunleavey has been hired to conduct market research and financial analysis to determine what type of work is required.

The evaluation process, which should be complete by August, will take into account the concerns of residents and will aim to enhance the academic atmosphere of residence hall life, Alexander said.

“We hope [students] will find them a more attractive place to live — and one that will serve their needs as much as possible,” he said. He also said the Department of Residence will name a second consultant to study and recommend changes in campus food service facilities.

Alexander said while room and board fees will most likely be affected by renovation, one goal of the survey is to minimize the impact it will have on students’ budgets.

He also said all renovation plans are subject to approval by the state Board of Regents. The consultation will only establish an outline of projected costs and time tables for the project.

The oldest residence halls at Iowa State were built in the early 1900’s, Alexander said, while the rest were built in the 1950’s and 1960’s. The residence halls have never been renovated.

“They seem to be in pretty good condition from what I can see just from the exterior, but structurally I don’t know how they are,” said Tim Meehan, a freshman in pre-engineering and resident of an older hall in the Richardson Court Association.

“In our dorm it is pretty nice. There is new carpet and the rooms are fairly well-maintained,” said Adam Bryant, a freshman in chemical engineering. Bryant lives in Barton Hall, one of the oldest residence buildings on campus.

“The bathrooms are in pretty good shape, but they used to be girls’ bathrooms, so they could maybe be redone a little bit,” he said.