After the fire . . .

Staci Hupp

If Carleton Jaquess were to teach a self-improvement class, he’d likely spend a lecture or two on how to make the most of an unfortunate situation.

With that, he has some experience. In October, Jaquess was one of many touched by the devastation of an early morning fire that destroyed the Theta Chi Fraternity house. What was left of the Ash Avenue house has since been torn down. In-house members are living out the school year as guests of Adelante Fraternity.

“I lost a few things, but most of it was salvageable,” Jaquess said.

Except for his job.

The 31-year-old native of St. Louis was the Theta Chi cook. He was let go when the blaze bruised the fraternity’s budget.

“They couldn’t afford me since we moved into another house. They couldn’t afford two cooks,” Jaquess said.

But Jaquess’ spirit remained unsinged. In fact, he used the predicament as a catalyst for a better life.

This semester, Jaquess is a full-time student at ISU.

“Actually, I was thinking about it [taking classes] last semester. Being in the college environment … it would be a waste not taking classes,” he said.

Jaquess, now a freshman in theater, said enrolling in his courses was an easy process.

“Everybody’s elated that I’m going to school,” he said. “It’s great. I’ve met a lot of new people. It’s opened up a new avenue.”

Those who know Jaquess are not surprised at how well he has handled the adjustment. Josh Allvers, a Theta Chi member and a sophomore in business, said Jaquess’ persevering attitude will no doubt serve him well as a college student.

“He’s the first kind of guy that I’ve met like him. Listening to stories, he’s been through a lot in his life already,” Allvers said. “He’s a strong guy. He knows what he wants.”

Brian Deets, a Theta Chi sophomore in advertising, agreed. He said Jaquess is not only a great cook, but a fascinating person.

Among other things, Jaquess has an extensive background in the performing arts.

“He’s really talented. He came through with flying colors. It just shows how to turn a bad situation into a good situation,” Deets said.

While excited about his future, Jaquess said his memories of his days in the Theta Chi house are far from forgotten.

“Oh yeah, I see those guys all the time. We’re always still together,” he said. “[I liked] the brotherhood, the togetherness. I was probably like a big brother to those guys.”

After college, Jaquess said he would like to either teach or earn a license from a cooking academy.

Regardless, Jaquess said he isn’t worried.

“I’m very tenacious,” he said. “I’m going to get what I want — that’s me in a nutshell.”