Birt returns as department chair

Jonquil Wegmann

A new chair has been named for Iowa State’s Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition.

Diane Birt, a professor and researcher at the Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, was appointed to the position last month.

Birt is in the process of researching how diet can affect the chances of developing cancer. She is a professor of biochemistry, molecular biology and pharmaceutical sciences.

While at Iowa State, Birt will be continuing her research.

In February, Birt will visit the food science department and she will also look for a place to live in the Ames community.

Birt, who taught at ISU 20 years ago, said she never thought she’d be back at Iowa State.

“I enjoyed my time here and am excited to bring skills and aspects of research related to disease back to an agricultural university,” Birt said.

Birt also said she is looking forward to working with the faculty at Iowa State and moving the food science program to a higher level of national and international recognition.

Pamela White, an ISU food science professor, has served as interim chair since Wayne Bidlack left the position in September of 1995.

Beverly Crabtree, the dean of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences, said Birt will start her position on July 1.

Besides being the chair of the department, Birt will also be the director for designing foods to improve nutrition.

Crabtree said she will be responsible for interacting with students, as well as fulfilling her duties as the chair of the department.

“Diane is bringing some unique research strength, her enthusiasm for working with other disciplines within the university, as well as seeking funds from a variety of agencies and organizations,” Crabtree said.

Crabtree said she is very pleased that Birt was selected for the position.

“We’re real pleased that she will join a fine group of administrators in our college,” Crabtree said.