Student-run organic farm is in the works

Jonquil Wegmann

A group of Iowa State students and faculty is making plans to blaze new natural food production trails.

The group, headed by Dr. Ricardo Salvador, a professor in agronomy, is planning to build an organic farm to complement agricultural and ecological curricula at ISU.

The student-operated farm will be located on a 15-acre plot south of State Street and Highway 30.

Developers will integrate theoretical and practical experience with sustainable agriculture methods to produce fresh organic products.

The farm will provide opportunities for students, faculty and members of the Ames community to apply and test alternative agriculture techniques.

Professors are hoping to eventually use the farm as a lab to supplement classes being taught at ISU, DMACC and other local schools. Student-run farms have been successful at the University of California at Santa Cruz and Davis, and the University of Maine at Orono.

Gina McAndrews, a graduate assistant with the project, said students from all disciplines and backgrounds are encouraged to participate.

“We have opportunities for students whether they want to be out in the garden or involved in the organizational process,” McAndrews said.

The farm will offer opportunities for internships, assistantships and experience in most aspects of growing and producing.

Students who are interested in gaining experience in cooperative business, marketing, publicity, shipping, and several other areas can apply to work at the farm.

The group is now focusing on grant applications and organizational planning. This spring organizers hope to start seedlings, prepare the soil, build hoop houses and continue planning for the farm.

Group members said they hope the farm will promote the movement toward more globally applicable sustainable development.

In the future, developers said the farm may produce goods for the Magic Beanstalk Community Supported Agriculture program, an Ames program that supports local growers and consumers of natural products.

Those interested in the project can call Jeff Hall, a project leader, at 294-0429 or e-mail him at [email protected].